OT problem with honda civic - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-26-2002, 12:56 AM
fender

OT problem with honda civic

hey everyone,
it's a 1987 civic..here's the problem

a few months ago, the coolant started to slowly disappear. It didn't leak or anything, but it got worse and worse.
so a couple weeks ago the car was still running, but after driving it for about 5 minutes, it quickly overheated/
when it cooled down, i would check the coolant, and it was always about 1-2 liters low.
after overheating and filling it up for a week, I decided to take a look at it. I discovered that all the water was going into the oil. I took the head off, and the gasket seemed ok. When I put it back together, it ran even worse than before. whenever I would start it up, it squeeked and also shook like hell. I'm pretty sure the timing is way off and that's what's causing it. The block is probably cracked or something,but I haven't found it yet. Is there any way that I could make this car last for another 2 months without replacing the engine or doing some major work?

any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-26-2002, 09:25 AM

Re: OT problem with honda civic

Does it have the CVCC motor?? I was talking with a friend the other day, he said the headgaskets from the factory were junk, and they had a tendency to leak between the cylinders. This is supposed to be a common problem with the motors and a siamese cylinders. (Hot spots between the cylinders)

Did you have the head surfaced when you had it off?? Did you replace the headgasket??

Have you done a compression check?? Did the vehicle stop overheating??

Cam timing may be off a tooth, Line the crankshaft to whatever the factory spec is. i.e. 5 degrees BTDC, then check the timing mark on the cam. If the mark is off, pull the belt off, change the cam timing, reinstall the belt, and recheck the dist. timing.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-26-2002, 09:56 AM
ratlover

You didnt reuse the gasket did you? Sounds like you gota crack or a bad gasket/and or sealing surface. Replace the gasket and torque her to specs and try some bars stop leak....I had a leaky gasket and to my suprise it actually worked[img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] Definatly change the oil.....that milkshake looking concotion in your crankcase dont lubricate well[img]images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]You might be getting oil from a leak from the intake possibly? Like on a small block how the coolant runs through the intake from the head...it can leak into the lifter valley....duno about those honda things though. Whats the exhaust look like/smell like?(<font color=red>WARNING</font color=red> dont sniff for too long[img]images/icons/crazy.gif[/img])
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-26-2002, 05:20 PM
fender

I didn't surface the head or replace the head gasket.
the car isn't worth spending more than 10 dollars on and the gasket seemed fine. I haven't done a compression check yet, but I'm pretty sure the compression will be low in one cylinder. I don't know if it still overheats because I haven't run it for more than a few secs. The engine squeeks, squeels, knocks and shackes so I don't really want to drive it around. I'll check the timing, but the car is probably garbage.

I might take another look at it, but I don't really want to spend much money on this thing. The car smokes a lot for about 5-15 secs...white smoke...after startin git up. It needs a new head gasket for sure, but I think it also has many other costly problems. I'll check the timing for sure, and maybe replace the head gasket if I'm feeling spendy.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-26-2002, 09:07 PM

OK.. so you didnt replace the head gasket. Thats probably most of your problem now. I imagine it shakes and rattles because water/coolant is probably pouring into your cylinders. Take the head off, replace the head gasket, and it will probably be good to go for at least another year. Yeah, sucks to keep dumping cash into it (Just sunk 400.00 into new headgaskets on my 4runner), but if it runs halfway decent, it will be made up in the sale price when you sell it.

BTW...replace the thermostat while youre at it.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2002, 12:34 AM
fender

yeah I'll probably take the head off again and check it out better. Oh yeah, even with a good engine, I don't think I could sell it for more then $200.
...the thermostat was replaced about 4 weeks ago.
thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode