Done the search, now I turn to you guys...'Burban - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-25-2002, 09:14 AM Thread Starter

Done the search, now I turn to you guys...\'Burban

I'm in the market to buy a 3/4 ton, diesel 'Burban, 4wd (of course [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]). I'm looking at one and pulling the tranny pan revealed metal filings on the magnet. This is an '88 with the 6.2L diesel. Which tranny is this? How bad are these filings, normal wear-n-tear, or harbinger of doom? How much, roughly would it cost to repair/replace?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-25-2002, 10:45 AM
Resurrection_Joe

Re: Done the search, now I turn to you guys...\'Burban

Check if the pan is square or Texas shaped. If It's Texas shaped you're ok, if it's square run away fast. TH400 is a good thing that isn't spendy to fix, 700R4 is the Devil specially in a big truck with a 6.2.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-25-2002, 10:50 AM
Resurrection_Joe

Oh yeah I was just reminded when my 700R4 blew up and I replaced it with TH400, the very cool off roader tranny man said anything over a teaspoon of junk in the tranny meant bad bad things.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-25-2002, 10:56 AM Thread Starter

They actually put the 700R4 in 3/4 ton's? Providing it's a 700, how hard/pricey is it to swap with a th400? Will the existing t-case bolt right up? Are they the same length?

It looks like I can get this 'Burban for around $1600, and with the exception of the tranny, it's in good shape. I'm wondering if it's worth it to go ahead and buy and put a little bit of work in it....?

Thanks for the good info so far.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-25-2002, 11:00 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I agree. I don't think they put 700's in anything over 1/2 ton. But I could be wrong. I just haven't seen any. If they did, 700's are very common, and you should be able to put in a good replacement in pretty easy. A 700 with the right mods hold up as well as most others.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-25-2002, 01:35 PM

Its so stupid, they put a 700 behind 6.2 litres in half tons, WHAT DO PEOPLE BY DIESELS FOR? for pulling stuff dough, as soon as i find a 400/241 combo its goin in my truck
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-26-2002, 07:46 AM Thread Starter

Well, this 3/4 ton does, in fact, have a 700R4 in it. Confirmed it last night. Damn. It is filings only in it, and it has around 160K miles on it.

Anyway, I'd really like to know how hard it would be to swap out the 700 with a TH400. Anyone done this before?

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

WHAT DO PEOPLE BY DIESELS FOR?

<hr></blockquote>

Dude, please don't turn this into a 'Diesels VS. Gassers' thread. Start a new one and I'll jump right in to defend diesels to the bone. [img]images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] I'm on a time limit with buyin' this 'Burban and can't be side tracked!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-26-2002, 08:58 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I just did the 700 to 400 conversion. It is completely bolt up basically. Be sure to get the vacuum line that goes from teh tranny to the manifold vacuum. Really easy and very worth it
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-26-2002, 09:05 AM

<font color=blue>LOL. Take a look at dreys post again.......You might notice drey has 1 diesel himself at the moment, Used to have a second to[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img].</font color=blue>
post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-26-2002, 09:07 AM
AzzKicker

I dont think he meant it like that.

He was saying Why do people buy diesels for? FOR TOWING. So why would they put a 700.

Thats what he meant.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode