need transfer case info - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-23-2002, 09:50 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

need transfer case info

Well I was swapping my t350 to t700r4 in my 72 gmc I noticed that my np205 is shot. What I need to know is what is a good transfer case to mount behind the 700r4 with a passenger side drop I know np208 or 241 but which one what should I be looking for what years and what did they come out of?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-23-2002, 11:34 AM
AzzKicker

Re: need transfer case info

the 208 can EASILY be found in a 1/2ton from 83-87. EASILY.

You can find it on SOME 3/4tons past 83 as well.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-23-2002, 02:54 PM

241 is in the SFA burbans older then 87 i believe, MNorby got one in his truck, they gotta be the right year or they will drop on the other side, in which case you will need a F*rd Axle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-23-2002, 06:47 PM

<font color=blue>Well I don't know anything about your intended swap, But if you were planning on putting the 205 behind the 700, I whould assume you'd have all the part to do so. And if that was the case, I'd tell you to find another 205.
But if you want to get a 208 or 241 in there. It shouldn't be hard, Because 700 208/241 combos were factory in some trucks. And the parts for the swap shouldn't be hard to find. Only thing you might have to worry about is the crossmembers. I'm not to sure on the years though. But someone else should be able to tell you what years you need to look for.</font color=blue>
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-24-2002, 09:55 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have not built the adapter yet I was going to machine a spacer to go between the trans and the transfer case adapter. Now that I need a new transfer case I thought that I would like to go with an np241 if I can find one that bolts to a 700r4.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-24-2002, 10:32 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have the NP241 from a '90 sub matted to a TH400 so it is 32 spline. If you get it from a 700R4 it will probably by 27 spline. Make sure if going 241 get forma blazer or sub otherwise if from a truck the output will be on the drivers side. The NP241 and 208 are basically the same but the 241 is low geared 2.7:1 vs the 208 2.6:1. The 241 also has a better oiling system. The are interchangeable as long as the input plines are the same. TH400 go 32 and 700 go 27 generally
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-24-2002, 09:38 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Ok, first off. The 205 is a much more desirable T-case for its known "bulletproof" capaBILITIES. However, the 241 will give you a pretty substantial lower range for the wheeling, its not as strong. The 350 has a 27 spline output as does the 241. So feesably the 241 swap would not be that bad. I'd look for another 205.........[img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode