Twin Stick Transfer Case in a 1/2 ton? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-20-2002, 09:13 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Twin Stick Transfer Case in a 1/2 ton?

I guy that works for my father was asking around weither anyone knows anything about a twin stick transfer case in a 78' chevy 1/2ton 6' bed. He remembers it being able to convet to front wheel drive in 2wd HI.

Any one know anything about this. It was bought new from the factory in '78, nothing aftermarket. As he remebers it there was not a PTO on it, but he was younger when he saw it so thtat he might have over looked.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-20-2002, 10:49 AM

Re: Twin Stick Transfer Case in a 1/2 ton?

<font face="Times New Roman">
<font color=green>I know of no factory twin stick cases in any Chevy, that seems to be what you're asking. There are ways to covert the 205 to a twin stick, but it's kind of a home-brew deal, they never came like that from the factory.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-20-2002, 11:06 AM
Resurrection_Joe

I remember seeing a twin stick factory T Case in an old crewcab one ton Dodge. It was old thouhg, like, late 60's old.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-20-2002, 11:46 AM

Was it twin stick or a PTO shifter? If it had a pto it would have a shifter for 4wd and a shifter for the PTO.

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-20-2002, 04:17 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

speaking of twin stick for a 205, is there an afterm market kit for it, or does it have to be made from scratch?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-20-2002, 04:27 PM

You can by the handles, but the mod. of the t-case you have to do, unless you pay a shop like ord or something to do it for you. But, it's not that hard. You just pull the springs and detent balls out, slide the shifter rails out, grind a groove in one, then slide them back in and put the springs and detents back in and your done. Peterson's mag had an article on it a while ago. I'll see if I can dig it up.

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-20-2002, 08:12 PM
Veteran

Yeah it is actually quite easy to do once you know how the 205 works. I have heard that you don't even have to take it right apart to make it work or do grinding like Jason said. If you want to see something more complicated try taking a SM456 and making 3 individual shift levers. One for Low and 1st gear. The second for 2nd and 3rd gear and the 3rd lever for reverse. It actually sounds hard to do but it is actually very very simple to do. Eventually I will post some pics on how and why I did that mod to my pull truck!!!!!

Ryan
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-21-2002, 05:02 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

ryenB thats ok, 3 sticks (including tranny) are enough to make you go screwy,

willys, i would appreciate some more info on that job, or mag and issue # so that i could find it.... somewhere.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-24-2002, 07:38 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

On a SM465?? I can understand how to do it on the "car" tranny's because the shift linkages are on the outside, but would be pretty complicated in the 465 wouldn't it??

I recently went through the shift rail twin stick mod on my 205. It is really easy, but I had mine on the bench, and glad I did. I went through some of the berrings, gaskets and seals while I was there. Had a lot of trouble getting that damn pin out that holds the rail to the fork inside. It's a neat mod, but I'm not sure if I'd do it again. I havn't made the shifters yet. Still crawling under the truck to shift with a screwdriver!!
post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-24-2002, 09:09 PM
Veteran

Actually its really really simple if you think about it. Im not sure if you know exactly what the SM456 looks like but up on top (the shift lever housing) on the transfer case side on the back there are 3 round circles indented into the housing. Those are plugs so you can take the actual shift forks out when rebuilding it. Anyway, all you do is pop out those plugs and tap the 3/4" round rods at the end and then get bolts(I am using threaded rod with a hiem joint on the end). Then on the heim joint and I am making the linkage for the new individual shift leavers. I also forgot to mention that I removed the stock lever and machined the housing down so it was totally flat and then welded a piece of 1/4" flat stock to it so that it sealed the case.

It was really simple and the reason I did this was so I could put my center counsol (the truck is a center seat) right over the trany and there would be no way to make the shift leaver work.

Ryan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode