Gear Oil Questions for the K20 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-19-2002, 12:43 AM
SHOTGUN

Gear Oil Questions for the K20

Ok I think my front axle diff cover is leaking. Will know for sure tomorrow. Was looking at gear oil at Wally World tonight and saw something new (to me at least). Castrol Hypoy C 80w-90.

Anybody ever heard of this stuff or used it? Said something about good for LSD's, would it be ok to use in my Gov-Loc'd 14B FF?

Another thing is how many quarts does my front Dana 44, and my rear 14 bolt hold? If I decide on this Castrol for the 14B should I use it in the front also or would it matter to use something less expensive? This Castrol Hypoy C is $2.94 per qt.

Also the can anybody give me the torque specs on the front & rear covers? And one last thing, on my 14B where the driveshaft hooks to the axle this seal seams to be leaking. Not sure what its called but the pinion gear is attached to it right? Anybody know the correct name for this? How much of a bear is it to change? Gotta drop the d-shaft don't I? [img]images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

Thanks for listening to my ramblings, help is greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-19-2002, 09:52 AM
Carpal \'Tunnel

Re: Gear Oil Questions for the K20

I expect to pay around $5-7/quart for gear oil. I usually get the slick 50 cheap [censored] since I change it so often.

A ten bolt takes about 2.5quarts. I think the 14 bolt holds a little over three but I'm not sure.

Pinion seal: chances are you'll have to yank the pinion out. Not fun.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-19-2002, 04:26 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

on the 14ff, mine usually takes about 4 quarts. also this depends on how much you drain out of it.

torque specs for the covers- I just tighten them untill the sealant starts to squeeze out, then just snug 'em up. never done the torque spec thing with it. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

ric
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-19-2002, 04:51 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

...and don't let your friend get happy with the impact wrench when putting the cover back on. I am short one bolt now and too lazy to EZ out it, but hey, it don't leak anyways
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-19-2002, 05:07 PM

<font face="Times New Roman">
<font color=green>An air ratchet makes the diff cover bolts just about right. Impact is way to much power.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-20-2002, 11:18 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Shotgun-Pinion seals can suck, but sometimes they are not too bad. you will have to drop the driveshaft, and you need an impact to get the nut off the pinion yoke. usually you can then slide the yoke off, a puller helps for this but it may come off with some BFH persuation. I the seal should go in just behind the yoke. I dont know if 14 bolts have a crush collar to provide pinion bearing preload, I have change yokes and seals and just put it back together with no problems yet.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-20-2002, 11:45 AM

<font face="Times New Roman">
<font color=green>Bogger is right about the process of replacing the seal, except for a couple details he omitted. Before pulling the yoke you should mark it and the pinion shaft so you know were they are positioned in relation to one another, then use an inch pound torque wrench to check the drag on the pinion. When you put it back together you can use the mark to get close to the right position, then use the torque wrench again to get the torque back to the same as it was before you replaced the seal.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-20-2002, 12:43 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

ya, would have used the air ratched but it is broke and half and never warranteed it. On teh yoke on teh pinion of the 14 bolt when we put new gears n I think it was something like 350 or so to torque it. Tood a big ol' torque wrenched to cruch the cruch sleeve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode