Frame info, weldable? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-16-2002, 08:36 PM Thread Starter

Frame info, weldable?

Is the metal on the frame weldable? My friend's dad has industrial 440, 220, 110 welders, and is gonna help me weld a pair of FSC framerails with custom crossmembers to my toy. He said to check if the two frames were weldable metals... TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-16-2002, 09:15 PM

Re: Frame info, weldable?

<font face="Comic Sans MS">Make sure to not quench it with water or anything, simple air quench should be used... I believe this is the best way to ensure the properties of the steel aren't altered too much... Also don't weld too much at a time, stitch it together... I also recall hearin' something about no vertical welds... Do that at an angle, I think since it distributes the load over a greater area, etc. Just for safety I'd probably go a step farther and put a reinforcement plate around the sections after they're done... [img]images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]</font>
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-16-2002, 10:51 PM

isnt it also best to spot weld the frame instead of a long bead, keeps it strong er something. or are you not boxing the frame
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-21-2002, 04:51 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

From my experience, welding to spring steel (frames) doesn't hold well. usually the weld will hold, but the frame steel becomes brittle and tears out. If you look at any factory frames, you will notice everything is bolted or riveted on, not welded. Mabye it would work if you go slow like Sandman says, but I would still find ways to drill holes and add some grade 8 bolts just to be sure.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-22-2002, 02:26 AM

I know of big trucks that where turned into box trucks by welding on to the frame. But the doubled it where came togter by putting the one over the other. Also when my dad did an sbc conversion on his jeep his buddy (who reconstructs cars and builds cages for living) welded the pads for the motor mounts and cross member to the frame and they are still holding up fine.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-22-2002, 09:22 AM

<font face="Comic Sans MS">The issue is exactly in how it's quenched after the weld, as to whether it'll be more brittle or retain more original properties... If you give it a quick splash of water like a lot of people like to do after a weld for some stupid reason, it'll embrittle it. You're basically tempering it. Makes it harder but more brittle. Air quench or even cooling it more gradually by torch should help retain the original properties a little better. And I think I'd make a way so that I had at least 1/4"x 2 ft piece of plate steel inside the frame rails, with fasteners welded to the inboard side so they go through the frame and then put a similar dimensioned plate across the outboard side of the frame, and secure the nuts down. Of course Grade 8 or better hardware. Don't quench the hardware after welding either. That's also bad for it... This would be on both sides of the vehicle where frame attached, as well as inboard and outboard side of the frame rail... [img]images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] Only worry you'd have then would be what *other* part of the frame would break, since I'd bet that section would not be the weak link in the system anymore... [img]images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]</font>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode