Engine swaping concerns & Fabrication questions - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-13-2002, 10:05 PM Thread Starter

Engine swaping concerns & Fabrication questions

First off, I just noticed I now have 454 posts; and I want to thank all you guys for all the info you've provided me with and putting up with my endless questions since I joined here.

Now for more questions:

Beater bumper is getting built this weekend and I'm trying to figure out the best way to cut the 2.5" square hole thru the 5x2 HSS for the reciever tube...

I'm thinking I'll drill holes in each corner of the 2.5" hole to line the cuts up on either side of the 5x2 box, and then use either the torch or the plasma to cut the hole.. but its gonna a rough cut and difficult to keep the receiver tube square to the 5x2 box...

Any of you guys with more fab skills than I got any ideas for me as to how I should line up my cuts such that I can keep everything nice and square????

___

Now, over the july long weekend I'm gonna make the trip down south to the Calgary area (~7 hours) to swap the motor that's been sitting there waiting for me...

The motor has 2000km on a solid rebuild, and has been sitting in a late 70's C10 2WD automatic for the last three years. Apparently it runs fine, and has been run occasionaly during the time it has been parked.

Today I sent a 12" flywheel to the machine shop to get surfaced, and I'm gonna buy a new clutch / pressure plate / throw out bearing to match the 12" flywheel. I have the clutch fork, bellhousing, and linkages that came with the flywheel; and I will bring them with me just in case.

I do not know what size of clutch is in my K25, but I'm thinking I have an 11" clutch; so am I correct in thinking that my starter will be incompatible with the new 12" flywheel???

Any chance the starter outta the donor truck's automatic will work?? Is there anything I can really do to save myself the trouble of not having a starter once I swap these clutches???

I'm having nightmares about getting my exhaust off in one piece, so I'm hoping the donor truck has something I can piece together.

Now what other things should I be worrying about and planning for other than the starter not working, and having no exhaust to drive home with?? What miscellaneous parts should I bring with me for a weekend engine swap???

Lemme hear your engine swapping horror stories, and any tips and tricks you care to share...

Thanks a bunch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-13-2002, 10:37 PM
Resurrection_Joe

Re: Engine swaping concerns & Fabrication questions

I got somehting for you on the hole issue

Line it ip with the holes like you said. Then when they are all lined up and drawn out, cut the hole with a torch, welder, or plasma (lucky bastard) but cut a little bit smaller than the hole so you have a teeny weeny bit of metal between the edge fo the hole and the line. Then bust out a small die grinder and take out the edges, and then a small drill attached die grinder bit to do the corners, which shouldnt be too bad becuas the tube is rounded anyway eh? Now you have a perfectly smooth hole to slide your tube in. You can grind a teeny bit at a time for perfect fit.

I'm shoving two reciever tubes through my frotn 4x8x.25 bumper and thats how I plan on doing it. My new welder will cut like a madman at 225 [img]images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Oh I have 1760 something odd posts and I still consider you to be a better wheeler than I. I like having you around man.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-14-2002, 05:33 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the vote of confidence RJ..

Someone once told me when I started out that I needed 6" and 36's to be a real wheeler; but I figure now being a real wheeler is more about how much time you spend in the bush with whatever 4x4 you own, and the truck related thoughts that you go to sleep with at night, and wake up still pondering in the morning. I know guys who have wicked trucks, do great fabrication work, but never seem to actually wheel their trucks.. don't make sense to me.. I wheeled my truck from day 1 with broken springs and bald tires; and although I don't have a 'hardcore' rig like alot of guys, I still get out in the bush at least once a week which in my mind makes me every bit as much of a diehard wheeler as those guys who scoff at my little tires and lack of flashy equipment.

Anyways, enough of that; thanks for the advice man, I think that is exactly what I will do..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-14-2002, 07:03 PM
Resurrection_Joe

Here here! How about a hand for good old Beaterchev!

Yes for all my Rezzybed skidplated locked 38" tire boggering doorless madness exocage plopperama, I've only really whelled my current truck twice, once with 32's and all stock, once right after I got my 36's and blew up my tranny. Well, I guess I did some light bushwacking the day Tex and I rockposed. And then here we have BC with his rotten little 30 inch tired truck that has been photographed on junk that I wouldnt have though of crawling over untill maybe a month ago. I salute you.

Anyway, I hope it works out, I decided to reverse some plans on Rezzybed so I need to work on it tonight, look for pics later. I'm goign to try and get the flatbed frame and tire carrier made tomorrow.

BTW - Vote of confidence? You'd sponk my truck's [censored] as it is now with pure driving know how and your truck, hell Drey's truck, alone, I'd hate to see you driving my truck. [img]images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

No offense to Drey, maybe he could whup my [censored] too, maybe he's a closet wheeler....
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-14-2002, 10:01 PM Thread Starter

Thanks bud. When you get your rig together and spend some good 'quality time' with it you'll be cruising thru stuff that'd make the beater look like a grocery getter.

I got nothing to do way up here except for exploring the hills and cut lines.. with so much land, and so few people there's endless land to explore.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-15-2002, 01:15 AM
Resurrection_Joe

Oh that is quite pretty!

Here's the only scenic picture I have [img]images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 802383-Really Scenic.jpg (44.8 KB, 7 views)
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-17-2002, 06:28 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I want to move where Beaterchevy lives. No neighbors except bears, deer and trees. Any land for sale up there? by the way that is one of the coolest pics I have seen in a long time.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-17-2002, 06:58 PM Thread Starter

Thanks BCB, we had a brush fire rage thru those hills the week before, so It was quite interesting driving thru all the scorched bush and stuff...

Land for sale, ha, you could probably get twenty acres and a trailer for 20 grand up here man, or less.. Nothing but land to spare.. the town I'm in has 6700 people, and the nearest 'city' is 200 km away and that only has 30,000 people..

And if you like mud, the mud in northern alberta is about as sloppy as you could imagine (when it rains of course).. When I was out the other weekend the guy who was with me had 33" SSR's and he was throwing glops of mud about the size of pint glass.. needless to say the beater got stuck many, many, many times.

I've seen deer all over the place when I'm out exploring, and bear's are in season right now. Black, grizz, whatever you want, just shoot it.

Lots, and lots, and lots of work up here too.. The oil patch is booming, so along with that goes trucking, and all the trades associated with the oil field.. I work at the pulp mill in town here, but I'm back off to the big city at the end of the summer..

There's some more pics of the country, click my sig.

And the bumper has been made!! It's sitting on my porch half painted now (the people in this apparment block must hate me).. Of all the fancy expensive equipment the shop at the mill has, I couldn't find a die grinder and the vertical bandsaw was messed so I couldn't cut my forty-five degree angles or make a nice hole for the reciever tube.. Flame cut and grind was all I could do.. It still turned out quite well for my first bumper, and should be strong as all hell.. I'll have some pics in the next couple days, and should have it installed in the next week.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-17-2002, 10:39 PM

You guy got me checing with this post count thing because I am still a "member" and this is my 165th post should of changed by now, but I would rather have that than junior guru or what ever it is.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-18-2002, 10:45 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Let's see what I can help you out with.....

The starter should work fine. They are pretty much all the same. The only differences that I've ever seen in "flywheels" are the difference in crank size between the one-piece rear mains and two piece. The 11" clutch I just put in my truck wasn't as big as the flywheel, which should make the flywheel 12" (as I have never measured it). I would take what you have.
As far as what to bring....a LOT of tools. Can never have too many. Lots of big pry-bars (4-5' isn't too big). A jack and blocks to hold the tranny up?? How are you lifting it out of the truck?? Exhaust will be a problem. Always is. As long as your not going from 305 to 350 or vice versa, you'll be fine with the manifolds and pipes. (they are both different between 305 and 350).
But hey, if you don't mind driving home without any exhaust, and park on a hill so you can pop the clutch, you'll be fine!! Just kidding. I think everything will bolt up and work out for you. Be sure to let us know how everything goes!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode