Alternator Trouble? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-13-2002, 12:25 AM
SHOTGUN

Alternator Trouble?

Over the past few weeks the Chevy's volt guage would fluxuate (sp?) from normal (needle straight up the middle) to gradually going towards the left (bad[img]images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]). However the whole time I haven't noticed the battery being drained, haven't noticed any difference in the radio power, lights, etc.. just the guage going south.

I went to Advance Auto Parts and had them test my alternator and the guy said the tester showed "diode pattern good" whatever that means (Jason explanation please!). However past 2 days the guage has deep sixed into the left side of the guage. Still no noticeable change in starting (well maybe a little, but still starts on the first crank), radio, lights, etc. If its my guage how do I check it? What can I do to fix it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-13-2002, 08:03 AM

Re: Alternator Trouble?

The output diode array is what makes up the rectifier in the alternator. This is what converts the AC (alternating current) that the alternator produces, into a DC current which is what the truck uses. There is another set of three diodes that provide field current to the regulator as well. Umm, have you put a digital multimeter on the alt yet? Or the batt? Check the voltage on the alternator where the gauge wire hooks up. If it's a constant 13-14 volts then the alt is fine, if it's dropped like the gauge, then somethings up and you need a new one. Has your cranking speed slowed down at all?

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-13-2002, 12:27 PM

Re: Alternator Trouble?

how far to the left, mine is always just a hair to the left, thats just the way its always run.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode