hydraulic steering how to?? pros and cons? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-11-2002, 10:43 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

hydraulic steering how to?? pros and cons?

I was wondering what the pros and cons where for hydraulic steering, and what all is involved with it and what parts i might need to do this. it will be done one an 84 fullsize blazer. i know there is the con of if the motor stalls no steering, but is there a way to make it electric. thanks Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-11-2002, 10:52 PM

Re: hydraulic steering how to?? pros and cons?

Will this be driven on the street? If so, uh don't do it, for the sake of the other motorists at least. If it's a trailered trail only rig then by all means go at it. You will need an orbital valve for your steering wheel to hook too, a double acting, double ended cylinder, with the displacement equal to the displacement of the orbital valve multiplied by the amount of turns you want to turn the wheel lock to lock. For example, you have a 5 cubic inch displacement valve, and you want 10 turns lock to lock, get a ram of 50 cubic inches. Anyway, you will need a pump, either engine powered or you can go with an electric one. Best bet is to find a tractor that you can steal all these parts off of. But the easiest way to go, if you have the cash, is to get a pre-maid system made for a large boat.

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-11-2002, 11:52 PM
Mud in my Veins

you could get the RockRam type setup where it's kinda 'hydraulic assist' but i'm not sure what you're trying to accomplish. full hydro steering does seem too dangerous for street driving. i'd be more scared of an electric pump going out than losing the engine on the highway, but if you could figure out an electric backup pump for the main engine driven pump, it would be better. still sounds like a bad idea though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-12-2002, 12:19 AM

Yeah, I was waiting for him to reply to see if he wanted a full system or assist system. A ram assist system is ok for the street, since you still have a mechanical link between the tires and steering wheel. Eventually I want the rock-ram setup on the white truck and the willys, but since both will be driven on the street regularly I would never consider a full hydro system. Also, it takes quite a bit of current to run a hydraulic pump constantly. You would need a good alternator and 1, maybe 2 hi-capacity batteries.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-12-2002, 09:13 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

i am planning on using it on the street, i know a guy that runs hydraulic steering and drives his vehichle on the street. Heres what i am doing/figuring. I have standard steering now, driverside, have the knuckle on and machined for x-over, probably going to have to modify my x-member, so i figured all the money/time i would spend on that i could just use towards hydraulic. but i want to be safe too.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-12-2002, 09:29 AM

<font face="Times New Roman">
<font color=green>Full hydro is dangerous for the street, but the Rockram or similar system would be great. It's powerful enough that you could concievably break a knuckle with it. Essentially it's ultimate power steering + an ultimate steering stabilizer. Cool stuff, my truck will be getting a hydro assist system during the build up this summer.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-12-2002, 11:25 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I set up my truck with hydraulic assist, similar to the rock ram. It works great turning real large tires, but if you have the stock chevy setup, that should be plenty for any tires under 40", unless you are hardcore into rock crawling. The hydro assist is very simple, just a few mods to your steering box and placement of a ram. I would only recommend full hydraulic if you are running 2.5 ton axles. It is also much better to go with an assist system in case of blowing hoses, belts, running low on fluid, etc. My whole setup cost about $100 for the ram and hoses, and tap needed for the steering box, I made the mounting tabs for the ram myself.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-12-2002, 03:13 PM
Mud in my Veins

if you dont want to shell out the big bucks for the AGR RockRam and dont really know how to do it yourself, check this place out:
http://westtexasoffroad.homestead.co...osteering.html
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-12-2002, 06:27 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

with a hydralic system like the one you have on that link. Can u still can use the x-over. What does it use regular steering (x-over) then the ram which helps push the wheels harder.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-12-2002, 06:34 PM

Yeah, you can use crossover or any other type of steering linkage. The ram mounts to your housing and the tie-rod. And it just helps you move the tires as you steer.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode