Speakers (hey Jason...) - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-08-2002, 09:36 PM Thread Starter
Carpal \'Tunnel

Speakers (hey Jason...)

First off, let me be the first to assert my ineptitude about car audio.

I think it's time to start looking for new speakers for my 84K10. We're talking the speakers in the stock locations (dash and behind the seat in the corners).

I plan on putting a Jensen MP3510 in the truck (best bang for the buck that I've found) and need some speakers that'll sound well with it. I'm not an obnoxiously loud music kind of person so they need not be the greatest power-consuming speakers on the planet. What kind of quality am I looking for? I'm looking for something that matches Delco speakers of the 90s.

In fact, the ones that are in the truck right now are alright but since I'm replacing the stereo because I'm tired of either listening to country, antique classic rock (that [censored] even your parents didn't listen to), or Christina Aguilera and Enrique Inglasiasasasas so the only solution is MP3 (I need my fix of Soundgarden, Alice in Chains, and Metallica).

Does anyone know what size speakers those are? I only want to tear things apart once.

So can someone point me in the direction of a good speaker and a place to get them from for a good price (crutchfield is not my idea of a good price place)?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-08-2002, 10:44 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Speakers (hey Jason...)

Well, my humble opion is don't waste your time with the Jenson. They are not very high quality and even if you pay a bit more money now, it gives you the option to upgrade in the future.

To answer your question about speaker size, you have 3.5 speakers in the dash and 4x10 speakers in the back corners. However, I don't recommend the 4x10's in the back. Get a $25 conversion kit (at your local audio place) and convert them to 6x9's. You will be much happier with the sound quality as well as the choice of manufacturers.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-08-2002, 10:53 PM

Yeah, what he said. Same thing wigh jensen here, but if your going cheap, I don't see a problem with it. Personally I would go with a Pioneer or JVC, both have some cheap models that are still better than jensen.

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-08-2002, 11:44 PM

those 3.5 inch speakers. I found some ROADGEAR ones 40 watt(if im correct) 5 bucks a peace at walmart. they have different connects but fit fine with stock brackets. idk if they work yet. i havent wired up my stereo yet. im going with an Alpine Tape Player. Why cuz it has a digital face, and it came wit hteh truck. and i dont want my CD Player to skip like a mother. I have a Pioneer something or other i bought from a friend, but my buddy put a Cd player in his old ford. wit hthe same type of metal dash. and it skipped just when the motor ran.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-09-2002, 07:28 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

i use an aiwa cdcmp3 player. $200. it is very good, plays well, has 6 band settings, 3 fm settings, 2 am settings, auxillary port, 50x4. it also has a remote that mounts to the steering wheel so it is pretty easy to drive with. i can get pics if you want. i've taken it a couple places and it hasn't skipped. thats just my 2 sence. i also had pioneer 6x9 in my neon back when i had money for a car and a truck and they sounded pretty good. they were 3 ways.

theo
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-09-2002, 08:35 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

While you have things torn apart, this might be a good time to run some RCA cables and a hot wire for an amp in the future if you ever decide to go bigger.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-09-2002, 11:45 AM

Yeah, but I prefer the Pioneer with the 10 GB built in Hard Drive for mp3's[img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img].

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-09-2002, 12:16 PM Thread Starter
Carpal \'Tunnel

Well, I found out today that my mom picked up that Jensen MP3 cd player at Meijer last week for $110 so it looks like it's a bit late for me.

What does this conversion kit contain? Are they completely new brackets? Is it an item specific to this generation of pickup? If it's a special item then I can guarantee the local car audio place (25 minutes away) won't have it. Their prices are high on everything but 8-12" woofers and subwoofers. Is there another place I can get them?

Thanks
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-09-2002, 01:48 PM Thread Starter
Carpal \'Tunnel

Yeah, I'll be running a pair of RCA cables to under the seat. I also don't like to run anything less than 12gauge wire to speakers so I'll probably end up running new wires to all four corners.

If you had an amplifier, where would you mount it?

Has anyone every tried mounting a amplifier under the seat with success?
post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-09-2002, 04:56 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

As long as you're not blasting your music, the Jensen should be fine. Jensens seem to crap out due to overheating. With the speaker conversion. You might have trouble going from 4x10's up to 6x9's depending on the OEM speaker hole. The conversion kit that SSRat mentioned is usually just a plastic spacer type thing that aids in mounting speakers with different screw holes. Even though I think they're a bit overpriced sometimes, look at a company called Cruthfield (www.cruthfield.com). You can go on their website and enter your trucks info (model, year, etc.) and they will tell you exactly what speakers will fit in your truck. Now with powering the speakers, if you're running the speakers off of the head unit, see what the RMS power output of your head unit is and match that to the suggested RMS operating power range of the speakers. If you're running the speakers off the an amp, do the same thing, but base the speaker RMS input off of the RMS output of the amp. Since you had said you don't listen to obnoxiously loud music and aren't really interested in huge power consuming speakers, don't even worry about an amp setup, it'll just be a waste of money.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode