Beater idle and stumble?? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-08-2002, 10:27 AM Thread Starter

Beater idle and stumble??

Okay, here's the deal... I'm still having probs with the old 350 after last weekends mudding trip...

The motor is now very hard to start, requires exccesive cranking and gas; and once it does spark it won't idle worth two ****s.

To keep it going after it starts you need to give it lots of gas until it'll pick-up to about 2500 rpm for a minute or so, and then it will idle at about 600rpm with a really lumpy sound (like I had an aggressive cam or something).. And then it seems to stumble a bit off the line; but has no problems once the motor is up to speed..

Last night I replaced the air filter / feul filter / pulled the cap and greased up all the electrical connections / and sprayed a bunch of that carb cleaner stuff down the throat of the carb (while running) and all over the choke linkages and stuff...

I'm gonna check the plugs and lube the plug boots once I can get some air to blow the mud and dust away from around the plugholes..

When I pulled the distributor cap, it was in decent shape, but it looked like a little water/mud had run into the distributor by the vacuum advance thingy...

Any chance that water &/or mud in the distributor is causing these problems... or maybe all the bouncing I did screwed something up in the carb (rochester q-jet)????

Any ideas guys???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode