Is this truck a good deal? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-02-2002, 10:46 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Is this truck a good deal?

hey guys, i'm a newbie to this board. been lurking for a couple weeks and you guys really have your act ogether, you know a lot of stuff. i'm super inot wheeling and go whenever i get some time and am in the mood.

my question is: i saw in the auto trader a add for a truck:

1983 Chev Suburban 4x4 350 auto, new susp lift, paint, 6 40" michelins, new MVI, very good condition, $5,200.
ph. xxx-xxxx

i had a good pic, and the truck looke din good shape, not beat up. it looked like a 6 inch susp kit. and i'm know the tires were boggers (i could recognize the tread pattern)i think about 38". no winch that i could see, no extra lights that i could see, etc.

this would be a SWEET truck i think for where i live, i don't do rockcrawling, just driving down power line trailer and those are 150' wide at the narrowest.

my plans would be put in a 454. proper gears (if it doesn't have em. i'm thinkign 5.13's??? how's that sound?) a dana 60 front, 14 bolt rear. locking diff in at least the rear, front once i get some money, more lights, winch, brushguard, cb, etc. i don't have the money to buy it right now. judging from the rims they looked to be one ton axles. a downside would be the paint, i love beaters, but even i would fell bad scratching up nice paint. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

i'm back and forth on manual vs. auto. manuals are cool for gear picking and simplicty and i just like shifting, but autos are better in the mud and on slopes and stuff. my dad's atv is a clutch less auto. i let off the gas, manually shift and get back on the gas. no clutch to depress. it's basically a manually shifted auto. that would be sweet, but i've done cool clutch stuff too.

this is in cnd dollars by the way. this would be my first vehicle.

thanks for the help.
OffRoad

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-02-2002, 11:09 PM

Re: Is this truck a good deal?

Hey, welcome, fill out your profile please. So are you in Canada? Where? The prices will vary a fair bit across Canada, but here I'd say thats about right or even low for that truck.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2002, 05:30 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yer saying the truck already has 1-ton axles? It was hard to tell exactly from your post. If so, sounds like a good deal to me. Even if not, if the body is mint condition, and it runs good, I would say go for it. I prefer the 4-speed to the auto too, but swapping them means you will probably have to find a donor truck close in model year. Swapping tranny from an auto truck to a 4-speed is a lot of work and time if you dont just have another truck laying around. You said it has boggers but the ad said Michelins? That doesn;t much matter, It still sounds like a good deal. What exactly is the conversion from Canadian dollars to U.S. Anyways? Sorry, more questions than answers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2002, 05:40 PM

RE: exchange: Not Good [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
Seriously our finances minister just got fired and we're gonna take a hit from that one. He was pretty good.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2002, 08:01 PM

BigChevyBogger thats about 3500USD
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2002, 12:22 AM
Mud in my Veins

sounds like too much to me, considering all you're really going to need is a good body and frame since you're replacing everything else. why pay for a running engine and puny axles when you could find one without that stuff and buy the goodies separately and save a bundle?!? that's my next project plans, i'm buying everything separately so i get what i want. i dont know how it is up in assfreezer country, but around here good deals on parts show up in the paper all the time, including low mileage late model EFI engines complete with all stuff needed to make em run. i would try to find a truck with a good body with no engine/tranny for around $1200, then spend the rest on the goodies to make it go. that's what i would do, but i live on broke and have to be really careful with the funds [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2002, 10:43 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

sorry about the axle confusion. what i meant was i THINK it has one ton axles judging buy the rims. i don't know for sure.

tires--there ARE super swamper bogger on the truck. i am guessing the size to be 36"-38". i know they are boggers because i recognized the tread pattern in the photo. the 6 40" michelins are tires that are included in the deal as extra.

buy the way somebody asked about where in canada. i live in new brunswick, very near moncton. if somebody wants to go wheeling and needs an extra guy... come on, make my day a happy day!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode