Question about Transfer Case - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-31-2002, 01:01 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Question about Transfer Case

my buddy is looking at buying a '74 Chevy pickup, long wheel base 4x4 with a 350 v8 and a 3spd auto th350 trans. i looked the truck over for him and it seems like a pretty good truck, its just the transfer case puzzles me. the shifter is moved in a straight line and it has 4 settings:

1. hi loc
2. hi
3. low
4. low loc

can anyone tell me what kind of transfer case it is? the truck has lock-out hubs on it and the fourwheel drive seems to work well, i just havent seen this transfer case before. what can you guys tell me about this transfer case? thanks a bunch.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-31-2002, 01:50 PM
Mud in my Veins

Re: Question about Transfer Case

sounds like a full-time 4x4 unit to me, which i think is the np203. the "loc" settings lock the viscuous coupling to allow "real" 4x4 for off road use, while the other setting allows some slip on road so you can run 4x4 without destroying your drivetrain. never seen that before but that's my semi-educated guess [img]images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-31-2002, 02:19 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Well, it sure sounds like my 77's 203, but mine had an N for nuetral. Are you sure there was only 4? In the 14 years I owned my 77 I never had a problem with my NP203. I never had lock outs (which I read shortens the life of the 203) installed on mine. I would say that as long as it has not been abused, it will probably give him plenty of years of service.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-31-2002, 02:40 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

you are exactly correct, it did have a N for neutral...CRS has attacked me again. as soon as i read your reply i remembered it. so its a pretty solid transfer case? thanks a bunch
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-01-2002, 07:11 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

if it does have lock outs than it has been modified (im quite sure) since if you have open t case in 4 wheel and lockouts open than you just spin the front drive shaft and pumpkin. some people removed the front shaft for sumers to save on fuel, my guess is that this guy did it the lazy mans way, but than again is he saving any money on gas that way?, he still spins all the parts.
by the way, it is an np203 full time t case, but you can buy a conversion kit for it to make it part time. fairly inexpensive and easy to install so ive heard.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-02-2002, 01:51 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yep, sounds like a 203. Some people don't like 'em as much as the 205, but they're plenty strong. It's an full time iron cased chain driven case that should be filled with 10 40 oil. The hubs are a sign it's been "converted" to part time. One way to check is unlock the hubs and put it in High, if it moves it's been converted to 2wd/ part time 4wd. If it is converted, now your shift positions are actually 4high - 2high - N - 2 low - 4low.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode