Exhaust Tips -- do I really need these? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-30-2002, 02:04 PM Thread Starter

Exhaust Tips -- do I really need these?

Well, since I'm spending money as if I actually have some, I have decided to have my tailpipes replaced from the mufflers back. Currently, my tailpipes have an eery resemblance to sprinkler pipe[img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]. Not making my newly upgraded motor sound very pretty, so it's a done deal. My question now is... exhaust tips. I 'm under the impression that they're not necessary, but is the "cool" factor really worth it?

I was looking at these <a target="_blank" href=http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=22832>http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=22832</a> for around $24.00/ea. What do you all think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-30-2002, 02:40 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Exhaust Tips -- do I really need these?

Personally, I don't think they're worth it. It almost seems like a poser item to me. Most exhaust tips are 3" and up. So it seems like people are trying to make you think they need 3" exhaust. If you need 3" exhaust then you really don't need tips because it will be obvious what you have for a motor. It'll show. If it's just for looks and you're getting a small diameter tip, then I'm all for it. My wifes Dakota has tips on it, but they are small, chrome tips that just hide the ugly rusted pipe underneath.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-30-2002, 03:11 PM
72dreamer

those particular tips are for looks. my uncle has a '95 silverado with dual exhuast and he had the 24" megs on it. it helps to mellow out the tone of the exhaust note. the tips rusted and eventually had holes in em so he had them cut off. he now has the 2 1/4" pipe coupled with 3" exhuast pipe. there was a significant change in tone.
i had an '83 silverado with 2 1/4" dual exhaust, side exit with no tips. my other uncle has the same setup ('81 silverado), same glasspacks but with the 24" megs. it does sound different and way better. but we're not talking about the bolt on cover the tailpipe type tip. these are welded onto the pipe ends.
bigblue cut his chome tips off and should know what i'm talking about.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-30-2002, 03:14 PM Thread Starter

Ok, so you're saying that some tips will help with the quality of sound and some don't? The ones I posted won't? I've got crappy chrome weld on ones right now and they're so rusted, it's almost embarrassing[img]images/icons/blush.gif[/img].

Maybe I'll just have him run the new pipe (2.5") for now. Or can you recommend some tips that might make it sound better?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-30-2002, 03:23 PM
72dreamer

oh yeah. here some.
<a target="_blank" href=http://www.a-1parts.com/performance_store/chrome_exhaust_tip.cfm>http://www.a-1parts.com/performance_store/chrome_exhaust_tip.cfm</a>
lookey sumtin lika dis..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 787710-JAC422.jpg (9.5 KB, 8 views)
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-30-2002, 03:33 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Oh yeah, forgot about the Megs. They do sound good. There are some that help with sound quality, but most that I see around here are the ones that don't do anything.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-30-2002, 03:48 PM
72dreamer

yup. and don't fall for those resonator tips. they're junk. i heard them on a 90ish pickup and it makes the v8 sound like a ricer. nobody wants that nasty bumble-bee sound.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-30-2002, 03:55 PM Thread Starter

Those look cool, but they're so shiny[img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img] Those are all chrome? I wanted stainless... do they have stainless? Do I ask too many questions?

Am I retarded? I can't figure out which ones are for me[img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-30-2002, 04:05 PM
72dreamer

yes. but they are the original megs. the st945 or st946 would be cool! but you just upped the price with stainless.
<a target="_blank" href=http://www.coneeng.com/megs/slick.htm>http://www.coneeng.com/megs/slick.htm</a>
post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-30-2002, 04:21 PM Thread Starter

Well, I just found out that my truck's gonna be done at 4:30 this afternoon, no tips...

I'll see how it looks, sounds and all that happy crappy then I'll decide whether or not I want the tips...

and, hey, thanks for the tip -- hahahahahaha[img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode