SFA or IFS - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-27-2002, 09:54 AM
joeybcdt

SFA or IFS

Where can I find what years of trucks and Blazers were available with solid front axle?

Thanks,
Joey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-27-2002, 09:55 AM

Re: SFA or IFS

Here, trucks stopped sfa's in 1987, the 1988 and up 1/2 and 3/4 tons are IFS, the 1 tons became IFS in 92. The blazers and suburbans went to IFS in 92 as well.

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-27-2002, 12:20 PM

<font color=blue>Just adding on to what Jason said. 1 ton Crew Cab 4x4s and cab and chassis 4x4s, Swiched to IFS for the 92 model year. 1 ton Extended cabs, Introdused in 88 were IFS. It makes no sence what soever, But it's how they built them[img]images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]. All half ton and 3/4 tons were IFS from 88 on, Except K5 blazers, And all suburbans (half or 3/4 ton), until the 92 model year, Like Jason said[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img].</font color=blue>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-27-2002, 01:27 PM

Hmm, I thought all 1 tons waited till 92, hmm, crazy chebbies[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img].

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-27-2002, 06:53 PM

<font color=blue>Yeah crazy stuff happend between 88 and 92. I think after thinking a bit[img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]. You might have been able to get cab &amp; chassis trucks with the new body style in 88. Not sure if you could get a 4x4 though. Dad had a 89 2WD 1 ton C&amp;C old style body with a 454/TH400. Man that truck was cool. Wish I could have driven it before he sold it[img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]images/icons/laugh.gif[/img].</font color=blue>
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-27-2002, 07:54 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

From what I understand from people that actually designed and marketed the trucks back then, they did it to capture the entire truck market. They wanted the old guys that swore by SFA and a "real" truck. They mainly did this for fleet vehicles and farmers/construction.

As far as Blazers/Jimmys and the Suburbans they couldn't really figure out what to do about it. From what I've been told they were originally slated to get a makeover in 90 but they didn't know how the market would react so they left it alone until their dies wore out. The SUV craze hadn't hit yet and in reality they didn't sell all that many of either.

However, the funny part is that only a few years later GM discontinued the Top Kick line. Somebody was really thinking there. It's kind of like butchering Oldsmobile. If anything, Buick should have been disposed of.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode