Off Roading Forums banner

junk behind the seat

860 views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  **DONOTDELETE** 
#1 ·
I'm wondering what kind of emergency stuff you guys keep behind your seat and how you keep it there. Only the standard cab guys count since you extended/crew cab guys don't have a space problem.

I have three backpacks with stuff in them, a metal ammo can (skinny one), a gallon of 50/50 antifreeze, and a gallon of emergency gas back there. Space is kind of tight and I'd like to free some up for at least a fire extiguisher. I have a little less room than normal because I have corner speakers.

I'm wondering if any of you made custom organizers or anything back there to keep your junk in. My backpack idea has always worked but there is a potential for more efficient space usage. However, I hate rattles (which the backpacks seem to prevent). I was thinking about making something out of wood or something and lining it with headliner material.

I'm looking for ideas or better yet pictures. You guys always seem to have better ones than me anyway.

On another note, what kind of goodies do you guys keep behind your seat for the road?

#2 ·
I bought this thing from Target (I think)... it's an organizer dealie that you can either screw or velcro onto the back of the cab behind the seat. Using the velcro isn't really an option unless you carry really light stuff. It's got lots of pockets, but it's still not enough to hold everything. Once I get rid of my ugly rollbar, a toolbox would be really nice.

I usually run around with 3-4 quarts each of oil and tranny fluid, drop hitch, fire extinguisher, first aid kit, an old gym bag with tow strap, leather gloves, jumper cables and bungee cords inside, some rags, a maglite, a funnel, my cheapie set of tools, a hammer, a star wrench, a frisbie and a kite

If someone came up with something to organize the mess that accumulates behind my seat, I'd sure buy it

#3 ·
we don't have a target. in fact, we don't even have kmart anymore. all we've got is wally world and shopko. shopko ain't got jack and i hate wally world.

i would like a toolbox too but they are both good and bad. they take a lot of space and are a pain to put in and take out. plus, they're expensive (aluminum one for $250).

i keep a quart of atf and oil under the hood. i need to find a place to put a gallon of antifreeze though.

http://www.wrath.com/projects/vehicles/images/84k10/behindseat.jpg

i've got an elaborate first aid kit, a thick blanket, flares, candles, and glowsticks in the far backpack. that ammo can has some basic tools to fix anything i can fix while on the road. the middle backpack has jumper cables, cargo net, radiator plugs and hose repair kit. the yellow thing is a gallon of "emergency" gas which is basically alcohol. it won't run on a cold motor. the nearest backpack has a hooked and non-hooked 2" tow strap in it with 2 1" ratchet straps and 2 1.5" ratchet straps in it. it's got tire plugs in it also. i'm sure i forgot some of the stuff in the backpacks.

i've also got two old radiator hoses and a alternator belt under the seat. mag-lite sits on top of the seat because i can't find somewhere to mount it. i normally have a fresh roll of paper towels and a bottle of windex and carburetor cleaner behind the seat but i washed windows in the house and ran out and the carb cleaner got used for bug killer.

i wish i had room for a hammer and a big pry bar (to peel front fenders out of your tires when you hit a deer). i want to find a way to fit a fire extinguisher too.

i don't even want to know why you've got a frisbie back there. perhaps you can use a kite to signal for help?

#4 ·
ive got a sweatshirt, leather gloves 3 or 4 different pairs, window paint, old fan belt, and A FRISBEE TOO behind my seat. then i have the rest of my stuff in my toolbox, like 4 way lug wrench, log chain, jumper cables. i plan on making a mount in my GMC so i can have one of those 5 gallon millitary cans in the bed mounted to the side. also do anyone know a better way to carry a log chain, mine always gets out of the sack i have for it, and it bags around messing all my tools up? i have heard about a antifreeze jug, does it work good?

#5 ·
don't laugh because it works:

go get some real thinner from an auto paint store. soak your chain in it. next, wire brush your chain and soak it again. then let it dry.

get a gallon of porch & floor paint. sharkskin gray is usually the cheapest. soak the chain in that and then hang it. let 'er dry.

i like to sew up a pantleg to a pair of old pants and use this for a bag. i usually sew in a drawstring but since i have a habit of carrying using these drawstrings they rip because i don't have elite sewing skills. i usually end up sewing in some 3m velcro.

so far, this has worked with all my chains except one i haven't done it to because it's zinc plated. only one has rust on it and i probably did it 8 or 9 years ago (i think i was 11 or 12 when i did it).

the nice thing about the paint is the links don't rattle as easily. i hate rattles in my truck.

#7 ·
ammo cans = military surplus store
ammo can holder = pretty rare, i one mine at an old man's estate auction
gas can (jerry can/jeep can) holder = summit

you can also find plastic military water cans at a surplus store but i have yet to find one of the holders. i know they make them but i think they cost so much that the surplus stores don't buy them.

paintball enthusiast stores usually have a lot of military surplus so try them if you don't have a surplus store nearby.

they haven't made metal ammo cans since before desert storm so they're getting expensive. i remember when you could get a box of 20 for $35. now they're around $5 each. the bigger ones (about twice the size) go for around $8. i only have a few of the bigger ones. they also make ones that hold around five gallons but there is no hinge just two latches. they also make ones that are longer for missiles. both these cost around $20.

G
#8 ·
i saw a ammo can carrier that held 3 50 cal cans. i like them cuz you can store all sorts of stuff in them. i just wished they were readily available. i picked em up for $5. now their like 7 or 10.

summit racing supplies?

theo

G
#9 ·
summit racing doesn't have the picture of the carrier? is it lockable? i found a surplus place that has an old school one with straps. not fashionable but it will work. it carries 2 of the old school cans. any help or pics would help. its either nutscraper 6.2 or i'm just dumb.

stuper

#10 ·
summit used to have a picture in their catalog but i'm too lazy to go look for it. i have one off a jeep (mounted outside the tub) at my parents' house. it has a lock on it similar to what is an ammo can that locks around the base and then straps that go over the top.

how much does the surplus place want for one? the place where i got my goodies want like $30. i only paid $10 for my blitz 5 gallon jerry can and $7 for my unleaded nozzle.

G
#11 ·
$32.50 for new 5 gallon jerry can. sold treated steel us issue

$27.50 or something for the carrier

emailed them regarding a water can, and a possible group rate for water can/gas can and carrier.

i like the smaller mount and the straps could be replaced easily. this would be mounted on the tailgate but with enough room to open close rear window.

the website for this stuff is www.saturnsurplus.com

heres another tidbit. 2 m-16 holders new in box. no use in my truck for em. but somone might find a use for em

dana 44 axle front for dodge 3/4 $650 complete front axle

mopar gov reguilt 203 transfer case. they also have some other goodies ont here for trucks. seals and gov filters and stuff

theo

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.