Beater Bumper Design???? w/pics - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-23-2002, 08:55 PM Thread Starter

Beater Bumper Design???? w/pics

Well, I got access to the shop at work now so I figured I'd have a little fun and build my self a new rear bumper..

****Note: Dimensions are to be confirmed*******
The plan would be trim the rear fenders horizontally to clear the wrap-around C-channel, and mitre the ends of the C-channel to follow the curve of the wheel well down (will also trim back fenders in the process).

Then bolt the C4x5.4 channel to the existing bumper mounting holes and drill 4 holes thru the frame and the plates to mount the transverse braces to the frame...

I will be making a jig to represent the frame while welding this to keep it from bending and distorting...

Any suggestions??? Should I make it almost flush with the tailgate, or extended out with a piece of plate on top like a normal bumper????

Should I extend the C4x5.4 channel out so I can bolt the transverse braces thru that too????

Is 138lbs too much?? Any idea how much a stock bumper weighs? 60lbs??

Sorry for all the questions, any constructive criticism will be much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-23-2002, 09:20 PM

Re: Beater Bumper Design???? w/pics

I like it. I see two sides to the bumper position question. On one side if you leave it hang over the back it makes a nice setup to get into the bed without using the tailgate. One the other hand by keeping it closer to the rear axle you will increase the angle of departure on the rear of your truck.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-23-2002, 09:35 PM

Hows about making the part that bolts to the frame rails able to slide? Put multiple bolt holes in it, so when daily driving or when you need the bed, you can move the bumper out a bit to use as a step and such, but when wheelin you can slide it in to help departure angles?

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-23-2002, 10:20 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, a bumper that can slide out would be a cool idea but slotting the frame will be a pain..

I like the idea of a better departure angle... hmmm decisions decisions...

Thanks for the replies.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-23-2002, 10:31 PM

<font face="Times New Roman">
<font color=green>I'd make it flush. If you're worried about having a step to get into the bed then just make a little pocket in it that you can use as a step. Personally I just use a tire to get into the back of my truck, the thing doesn't even have a bumper in the back right now. When I make one I want to do one pretty much like you have planned.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-26-2002, 10:05 AM
Mud in my Veins

That's really similar to what I did for mine, but you've made a few weak spots:

1. The frame extensions (C4x5.4) should be the same size or LARGER than the bumper since it's possible for one of them to see MORE force than is applied to the bumper (from leverage).

2. The gussets should be on the flanges; not at the center of the webs of the channels. The web is the weakest part in the direction of that load. I'd put the outbard (corner) gussets on the top flange and the inboard (frame extension) gussets on the bottom so that if the bumper is overloaded, it will roll away from the quarter panels.

3. You're right about the frame extensions needing to go back to the transverse braces - it may keep them from punching thru the frame if you sideswipe something. You might also try to run a crossmember between them for the same reason, and gusset the ends of the tubes to the flanges.

Mine uses C8x11 as the frame extensions and C6x8.2? as the bumper beam with 1/4" plate outboard as the bottoms of storage boxes and also wrapping around the ends faired into the body line. Many people don't realize it's not a factory bumper (probably because they're distracted by the front![img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]). You can see them in the album linked below...
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-26-2002, 11:34 AM
Carpal \'Tunnel

I don't know about you but I always make my bumper mounts the weakest part because I'd rather they bent than my frame.

I'd also make the bumper so that it rolled under the truck when hit from behind. This helps keep it from bending in to the box.

If you look at GM's bumpers, they have all these things in mind.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-26-2002, 06:34 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

<font color=blue>I did exactly what you drew, only with 2x4 1/4" wall tube. I made mine flush. If I need to climb on it I just swing out the carrier and step onto the trailer hitch I built into it. The clearance is great. How far foward from the bumper are those braces that go to the frame? Is the 2x2 going to be strong enough for that? I just made a spare tire carrier for mine, and I welded a Rockstomper hinge onto the passengers side corner, so passengers side wrap-around tube moves up and down a little because of the weight of the tire so I need to make some braces. I was thinking of going to the frame like you have only with 4x2 so it would distribute the load over more area. Here's a picture (I hope).

Here's the rest <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/album/25499947XxjDjyPxVb>http://community.webshots.com/album/25499947XxjDjyPxVb</a>. If you have any questions just ask.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-26-2002, 06:44 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

<font color=blue>OK here it is.

Where is a good place to upload pics to so they actually apear in posts?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 784727-carrier5.JPG (51.7 KB, 66 views)
post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-26-2002, 08:10 PM
Resurrection_Joe

Personally, I'd like to see a Beaterbed, hehehehehe, I mean, is the box that important? Even if, howsabout a original bed bob? Eh? Speaking of which (all of this), I think I'll take the bed off my truck tomorrow.... [img]images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode