Brakes question - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-23-2002, 03:15 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Brakes question

I just got my truck out the paint shop and my brakes started acting up a little bit. They used to sqeal a little bit but they are making more noise now. My pads are almost a half inch thick so that isn't the problem. The truck started to pull to the left when I applied the brakes. Once when I was pulling out my driveway I put the truck in reverse and couldn't move because they were locked up. I freed it by going in forward sharply. Maybe the caliper is sticking closed, because sometimes when I just start to move I hear a slight squeel without the brakes applied. How do I correct this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-23-2002, 03:21 PM

Re: Brakes question

<font face="Times New Roman">
<font color=green>Sounds like a sticky caliper to me. Gonna need to get some new or rebuilt calipers probably.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-23-2002, 07:52 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

its your caliper just put one on my truck for same reason and fixed that a rebuilt one cost me $15 and very easy to change
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-23-2002, 08:26 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Just seems funny that this started after it was in the body shop, do you think paint dust would affect the calipers in any way?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-24-2002, 06:49 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

no way that a paint would affect the caliper, i would chalk it up to coincidance, unless you have a fiew too many extra miles since you gave it to the spray shop.
ive got the same problem with the pulling to the side when i brake, its a nasty pull by now, massed up my aligment after hard braking with a trailer behind it (can you say wigle wigle down the street?)
as far as the lucking up where you couldn't go back words, i would give cradit to the rear end for that one though, usually its the drums that get you stuck where you have to go the opposite way to free them, i replaced those after i dragged my left rear for about 50 feet of light braking (worn out to crap, and leaking pistons or whatever you call those push-apart pieces), at least check your rear.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-24-2002, 07:28 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

you can either rebuild the caliper or buy a remanufactured one.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-25-2002, 06:35 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Did Jimmy's come with more than one kind of caliper in 1989 because I went up to the local carquest and bought a set of oem calipers and they were slightly different than mine, they had a small notch on the body that was even with the piston, I couldn't slide the thing on, I finally just put the old one back on. I am going to check those rear brakes though, never thought of that. They never gave me any trouble before.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode