Whats that clunk? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-22-2002, 07:34 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Whats that clunk?

I keep hearing a clunk every so often and I can't figure out what it is. While driving normally on the street it will make a random clunk that sounds like its coming from the front. At first I thought it was the suspension so I tighten up all my shock mounts and used some washers to remove the play on their mounts. But that still hasn't fixed it. Its kind of weird though how it seems to happen sometime after acceleration but not during or sometime when I have my foot all the way off the gas. Anyway today I had a friend listen as I drove over a speed bump at about 10 mph and it made the clunk each time the front tires rode over it. Now I see that the front left shock seems to be leaking a little oil but I don't think that is making the noise so what is it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-22-2002, 08:26 PM

Re: Whats that clunk?

Are you bottoming out your shocks? Could be the issue.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-23-2002, 07:15 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Check your exhaust. Possibly could be your shackles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-23-2002, 03:33 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

the other day I noticed a funny clucnk too and turned out that one of the calipers had lost both bolts and where stripped out and it was bousing bewteen teh backing plate and the wheel.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-24-2002, 06:53 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

mnorby, easy fix for that one, just toss the damn pice of crap and clapm down the hose so it doesnt leak, you did that right? hehehe
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-24-2002, 10:03 PM
BigBlueZ71

motor mounts, i've seen it before
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-25-2002, 01:39 AM
Mud in my Veins

hey, it's bigblue! the chevy board didnt seem the same, and last week i finally figured out who was missing. welcome back!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-25-2002, 02:20 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I found out what the clunk was. I am almost certain that it is my transfercase. Everytime I hit the gas the whole thing twists. I looked as a friend hit the gas and the transfercase kind of rolls sideways. So My next question is how do I fix this and how exactly is the transfer case connected to the frame and transmission does it use a certain munting bracket or is it just bolts. I wonder why all of a sudden though it would start doing this. Oh and is it bad to keep driving it?
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-25-2002, 02:30 PM

on the GM SFA trucks the transfer case bolts to the trannsmission with 4 bolts, and to the a crossmember with 2 longer bolts, look at the rubber mounts on the 2 transfer case bolts. they could be shot, i had one that had to be replaced.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-25-2002, 11:06 PM
Mud in my Veins

the transfer case, unless divorced, is bolted directly to the transmission, which is directly bolted to the engine, so the only way it could rotate is if your motor mounts are busted and the whole engine is trying to move. the easy test is to put it in drive while holding the brakes and goose the throttle, if one side of the engine lifts up then that side is busted. do it in reverse and see if the other side is busted. i would replaced the tranny mount if you replace the motor mounts because it's probably not far from breaking either.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode