Need Help/Info on purchasing/modifying Blazer - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-22-2002, 02:31 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Need Help/Info on purchasing/modifying Blazer

Alright, my next vehicle is going to be a fullsize Blazer, which will hopefully be very soon. Are there any tips you can give me when looking at Blazers other than the normal stuff?

As for when i get the Blazer i decide on, i plan on getting a 4" lift, 33's, possibly 35's, and opening up the exhaust. This vehicle will be mainly a mudding/camping vehicle, as well as a daily driver. I don't care for ride comfort or anything. So the questions, I'd like a 6" lift, but from what i've read, i'd run into a lot of problems with steering and lengthening my front driveshaft, possibly rear too, could anybody else emphasize on this? I'd ideally like to get 35x12.50 muds on there, but i don't think i want to fender trim, could i put a 1"-2" Body lift on it and be fine, any problems i'd run into with a 2" BL? As well with 35's would i need to regear, i'm ideally looking for a 4spd, but their rare up here, even with a 4spd would i need to regear too? And finally the exhaust, best exhaust for my money??? Any info or suggestions would be much appreciated. I'll keep on searching around,
Thanks
Jordan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-22-2002, 03:10 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Need Help/Info on purchasing/modifying Blazer

blazers like to rust look were the tailgate mounts on to that cross member and all body mounts in the back also look in side the rear fender wells where the back seet is that is a real soft spot for rust. (or it could just be i live in pennsylvania lots of rustmobiles here)
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-22-2002, 03:34 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

Since you're searching, find a good one. You'll want to look at places like the tailgate (does the window go up after you put it down) and rustholes in the tailgate. You'll want to look at the floor back there too. The rear shackle mounts like to rust out also (for some reason, worse than the pickups). The floor behind the rear tire. The body mounts and back of the vertical plate under the rear seat. In the front look for a crispy area under the corners of the windshield. If the inner wheelwells are swiss cheese then chances are the firewall has a hole in it too. The newer ones you can see behind the fender if you open the door and stick your fingers in there and see if you find rust.

Most common drivetrain:
New body style: NP208/700R4 and ten bolts. Old style: NP203/TH350 with a twelve bolt and a ten bolt or dana 44.

You can also find SM465s once in a while too. They also came with other manual oddball 4 speed and 4 speed overdrive transmissions.

I once was looking for a K5 also so I did a lot of research on them. The problem was that all the ones in my price range (under $2000) were heaps of rust. I found one under that but it was cobbled beyond belief. I draw the line in the sand when I have to gut the interior to fix rustholes and build body mounts. However, if you don't mind such things then you can find plenty around here for the $500-1000 range.

As far as exhaust, I'll have to preach Hooker some more. You'd think that I worked for Holley or Hooker. Anyway, for $350 I had a complete exhaust system from the headers to the tailpipes. The headers are surviving a lot better than the pipes as far as rust is concerned. Been on there for 3 months.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-22-2002, 03:36 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

Oh yeah, these people are probably more qualified than me:
<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/forums/postlist.php?Cat=&amp;Board=blazer4x4>http://coloradok5.com/forums/postlist.php?Cat=&amp;Board=blazer4x4</a>
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-22-2002, 04:42 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

as for tire fitment. I srun 35/12.5 on 16x10 rims with 4" and decently cut fenders. Don't go with 33's, you'll regret
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-22-2002, 05:49 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

why would you regret 33's
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-22-2002, 06:22 PM

They're too small, is what he means.
You also said that your 35s are looking small didn't you Mnorby?
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-22-2002, 07:45 PM

I don't know anything much about Blazers, but I can tell you that I'm running 35x12.5s with a 4" lift and trimmed fenders... If you do any wheeling at all, I don't think you can get away with that size tire w/o hacking on the fenders a little.

As far as gears go, I've got 3.73s and it's a little sluggish off the line. Once you get going it's not so bad, but if you're looking for a speed demon, it ain't gonna happen. I'm putting some money into engine mods to get a little more power, but I'll probably end up with 4.56s in the near future.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-22-2002, 08:00 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks so far for the great info guys. Is there anything i have to modify as far as driveshafts and steering goes if i were to lift it 4", what about 6" suspension lift???

Thanks
Jordan
post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-22-2002, 08:10 PM

With a 4" lift, the kit should come with a new steering arm and you'll probably have to get shocks.. not 100% sure cause mine came w/shocks. Most of the time with a 4", you won't have to modify the driveshafts or worry about angles, although with a shorter wheelbase, I'm not sure about that. I had my front driveshaft lengthened by about a 1.5" cause it was scary looking.

Hopefully, someone will post with a 6" that can give you more info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode