Stop On A Dime! (Placed 300 Feet Away) - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-22-2002, 12:02 PM
Resurrection_Joe

Stop On A Dime! (Placed 300 Feet Away)

I'm loosing all pressure in my brakes and assume I have a pressure leak somewhere in the old not run into things with my truck system. Any ideas? I can stomp the pedal and it'll stop right quick, if i brake normal, there's about a 20% chance it'll work. Someone told me to look for a small part in my rear drum brakes. Oh well, if everythings going o hell, might as well replace fix tear out and or fabricate new stuff. My truck will be more RJ than GM. Not that I'm complaining you understand. Oops what the hell am I talkign about.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-22-2002, 12:22 PM

Re: Stop On A Dime! (Placed 300 Feet Away)

Err, you can replace all the brake lines pretty easily with hard line and a nice prop. valve for the rear. Pretty cheap too. Just buy one of those little brake line bender hand tool thingymabobs. Do you have any leaks anywhere? By the way your describing it, it could be a wore out master cylinder. Moving the pedal slowly lets the bad leaky seals leak the pressure out before it gets to the brakes, but when you stomp on them, the seals don't get enough time to leak down, get it? I think I lost myself[img]images/icons/crazy.gif[/img].

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-22-2002, 12:24 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

Sounds like a master cylinder.

If I remember correctly, they're dirt cheap. I think there would almost be a profit in selling the aluminum for scrap. OK, maybe not that cheap, but you get the idea.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-22-2002, 12:30 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Depending on what style master cylinder, they can be cheap or expensive. MC for my `82 K5 Blazer (all cast iron) ran less than $20. MC for my `83 shortbox (aluminum body, plastic reservoir) ran like $80. I was told the parts are NOT interchangeable (of course), I wanted to just put another cheap one on.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-23-2002, 12:13 AM
SHOTGUN

That would be the master cylinder. I found out the hard way on the 79 K20[img]images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] Was having to drive the K20 back and forth from a buddy's house who was helping me wrench on it from my grandmothers house (like 3 or 4 blocks). Well there were 2 4-ways in those 3 or 4 blocks. I was trying to hold out on replacing it but It gradually got worse and then one day after not being able to stop I decided to go ahead and replace it![img]images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] Shouldn't be more than around $30 for you RJ.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-23-2002, 08:29 AM

Hey RJ, I think that you should replace the master cylinder first. It will be the easiest and probably cheapest thing to do. I think that my master cylinder was about $20 from autozone (remanufactured) and it comes with a lifetime warrenty. If you bench bleed the MC then the install and brake bleeding should be pretty quick and painless. With another persons help (to help bleed the brakes) you should be done in 30-45 minutes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode