Aftermarket Guage Questions - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-22-2002, 11:58 AM
Resurrection_Joe

Aftermarket Guage Questions

If I were to say purchase some aftermarket gauges and wire them into my truck in some fashion, would I use the stock electric senders from the truck or would I have to run all new senders to all my equiptment? Also, how many wires go to the gauge itself? Ground, Dimmer Power, and Sender Power Right? Or no? Anywho....

Shaggs, I know you know that I know you know and a lot of other people know you know about this stuff (which is worth knowing) so shed some light? I really don't feel like searching. Heh heh.

Oh and where can I pick up some of them nifty LED lights?

Hey can all dash functions be wired from theat huge [censored] loom that hooks to the back of the cluster?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-22-2002, 12:11 PM

Re: Aftermarket Guage Questions

<font face="Times New Roman">
<font color=green>OK, let's see here... New senders... 3... right... no, yes... I do know about this stuff... Radio shack... and Yes...[img]images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

OK, now the long version.

You'll have to put the senders in that come with the gauges, but they're pretty easy to do. I personally like mechanical gauges anyways, but that's just a personal preference. Fewer wires that way, and I feel that they are more reliable. For electric gauges there should be 3 wires, the ones that you said. For mechanical it's just the dimmer and ground for the illumination. I got the LED's at Radio Shack, you can order them from there online too, I put a link in here a while back, I can find it again if necessary.

For the wiring harness I cut off the stock one and wired up a new one that I got from radio shack. It was fairly easy, just time consuming getting everything organized and drawing the new wiring diagram as I went. I didn't really want to use the stock one since the end that goes to the dash is connected directly to that laminated circuit thingy in the original dash. Easier to just hack off the end that comes from the dash and start over. It's not too hard, just trace all of the wires BEFORE you cut off the harness or you'll be ina pickle, especially if your wiring colors don't match the wiring diagrams. the colors in my truck didin't match, I figured out what was what by tracing the wires in the laminated thingy from the original gauges back to the harness.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-23-2002, 08:37 AM

That really sucks tracking down the wires and drawing a new circuit diagram. When finishing up my truck i tried to hook up an older gauge panel to a new wiring harness. Lets just say that they dont like each other [img]images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]. I turned on the right turn signal and the gas gauge moved [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]. I agree with shaggy, i prefer mechanical gauges over electrical ones where they are possible. i dont think that i would want a mechanical gas gauge in the cab [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]. After seeing the pictures of shaggy's gauge setup I seriously contemplated doing the same to my truck, but down side is that those gauges are so frecking expensive. I think that for now im going to keep the stock guages and put that money elsewhere in the truck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-23-2002, 09:56 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I priced the cost for my gauges and it came to about $600 through summit. Started my collection by getting the oil pressure the other day. That is the Autometer Phantom gauges:
2 5/8 mech old
2 5/8 mech water
2 5/8 elec volt (Don't think there is a mech version [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] )
2 5/8 elec fuel
2 5/8 elec tranny temp
5" speedo
5" tach
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-23-2002, 12:06 PM
ratlover

I like electric gagues for certian things and mechanical for other apps, it all depend on what you are doing. I dont like the idea of mechanical pressure gauges inside the cab(unless with an isolator and those are $$$) You also gota be careful about running mechanical temp gauges so you dont kink the wire and such. Leme tell you what I would like to eventually do with my custom dash and gauge set up.
Bassicly mirror shaggy's dash with my tach mounted on the top of the dash. All electric, an oil temp gauge(and tranny temp gauge in one) Water temp, volt meter and try to keep the stock speedo/fule gauge. Leds for indicators of turnsig and 4x4 and highbeams. And one of the auto meter boxes so I can make idiot lights. If you go with electrical you can use the idiot light box deal autometer sells and buy 2 senders for your oil temp and wire it into 1 gauge on a switch and flip back and forth between the 2(thats how I would have the tranny temp and oil temp in one). just my .02$
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode