help! (headers\drive shaft) - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-20-2002, 01:35 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

help! (headers\\drive shaft)

i just put on headers this weekend everything was fine then i out to see how it sounds with the new exaust then i hear a bang the front drive shaft is hitting my collectors so back to the garage and look and i notice that the front dive shaft is also chewing away at the tubes coming from the head. now the question is what can be done to stop this
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-20-2002, 02:24 PM

Re: help! (headers\\drive shaft)

Prob. take it to an exhaust shop and have them put some small bends in the primary tubes to get them to clear.

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-20-2002, 02:28 PM

<font face="Times New Roman">
<font color=green>Or if it's just a minor clearance problem then take a hot wrench to the tube that's being hit and then tap it with a hammer to dent the tube away from the d-shaft. I had to do that with mine, and we did extensive work on the headers in my brother's old '63 Nova after we put a small block in it. There wasn't a tube on those headers that we didn't have to dink somewhere for clearance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-20-2002, 02:34 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

i just pulled the drive shaft out for now because i am putting a 4 inch lift on very soon and will see if that helps i think it will but corect me if i am wrong the only bad thing is i cant go wheelin this week and it is realy muddy out. (damn it!)
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-21-2002, 09:26 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I dunno if this helps but I put on my new hooker comps on last night and I have a 4" lift and have no clearance issues at all. Fits good.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-21-2002, 11:53 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

What kind of headers and what year truck?

I run 2WD Heddman headers on my 1984 3/4 ton 4x4 a 2.5" pipe coming out of each collector. The only clearance issues I had with my exhaust system was snaking the right side pipe between the frame and NP205. Oh, I also had to flip the rear shackle leaf spring bolts to point out to clear the collectors.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-21-2002, 12:35 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

its a 86 k-5 with black jacks it tuns out i am only lifting my truck 3 inches but it should still clear Right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode