Solve a tire dispute for me! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-17-2002, 02:55 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Solve a tire dispute for me!

OK, i have a buddy that says when you are goin in deep snow or mud boggin it is better to have skinny tires. I disagree.

who is right
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-17-2002, 04:49 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Solve a tire dispute for me!

Really depends on the weight of the vehicle, horsepower, etc. Vehicle weight is the most important. Big vehicle, weighs a ton, you'll want skinny tires to dig to the bottom. Light weight, go with a wide tire for flotation. Big horsepower, run whatever the hell you want.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-17-2002, 05:19 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Personaly I have been doing well with a 12.5" wide tire on a 10" wheel. It does good in the mud,sand and snow.
A guy at work has a 72 K5 with a built 454 and 38x11 Boggers on it and he hates them. They will dig to China in a heart beat and he will be sitting on the frame rails.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-17-2002, 05:54 AM
Mud in my Veins

i've heard that too but i'm thinking the narrow tire in the snow thing is for a shallow layer on the street where cutting through the snow probably would be the best idea. if you're offroad in 2 ft of snow you definitely want a wide tire for flotation, otherwise you'll dig right in and be stuck. i'm starting to think this is true in the mud also, lots of people tell me to get "pizza cutter" tires so i can dig down in the mud but i think something like a mickey thompson baja belted would be better cuz they will sorta float on the mud while giving forward traction too. but yeah, at speed on the highway with a couple inches on the ground i think i'd want a narrow tire.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-17-2002, 09:53 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Well, I have very limited experience with snow. But, muddybronco is on the right track, at least from what I believe. I have always said it depends on the mud. If you are in mud that is not all that deep...then it is good to have a narrow tire that will get down to the firm stuff and get traction. If you are in some really deep stuff, it would work good too...but you have to have the appropriate clearance for it. Or, you can have wider tires to stay up on the top...the more aggressive the tread in this case the better, that way they get traction...where there isn't really much to get...and self clean well too. Most people run a happy medium without planning to, and it works out well. To me that's the best anyway because unless you are always in the same stuff you will have different types of mud and whatever anyway. In something like sand you always want to stay up on top, unless it's 8" of sand on top of hard ground...but when do you really ever find that. It's usually sand...with plenty of sand underneath. I think that a good average size mud tire is about the best set up someone can run. When I say average I mean normal dementions....not so much diameter. Run whatever diameter you want 33, 35, 38, 44. I would just aviod exceptionaly narrow tires, or overly wide ones, unless they are being used in a specific area.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-17-2002, 06:08 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

the depth we where going for was 2ft. he said "if you go in two feet of snow you want narrow tires so it cuts to the bottom", I said "you will go to the rails and get stuck"
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-17-2002, 10:16 PM
Mud in my Veins

in that situation i would think you would be SOL with super narrow tires... unless of course they are about 50" or so in diameter. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-17-2002, 11:59 PM

Skinny tires are good on ice and wet surfaces due to the small amount of surface area which equals more weight per square inch on the ground. Now, that is completely different than snow and sand. In those you want as wide as possible to stay on top of the stuff and not sink. That is why people air there tires down. To get a wider track. Thats it, I'm right, don't need any other replies[img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img].

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-18-2002, 12:36 AM

<font face="Comic Sans MS">Snow: < ~ 12-20", skinny tires have the advantage since you can dig down. Deeper snow than that will require tires literally as wide as possible and aired down considerably to increase the "footprint" and thus distribute the weight of the vehicle/passenger system over the most snow possible to prevent sinking in. In deep snow if you dig you will bury it to the frame before possibly hitting a hard surface.

Ice: Nothing has an advantage on pure ice except a tire with spikes or chains. This is because the coefficient of friction of ice is effectively zero. u=force of friction/normal so take the normal (mass of system * gravity) and multiply by coefficient of friction to find out how much force the friction has. You'll find it has zero friction since u = 0 and anything times 0 is 0... [img]images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] Just more math junk nobody really wanted to hear about in the first place... No amount of mass you add to the vehicle will help you out on ice without a traction device like chains.

Mud: Tires cannot be so wide that your engine cannot spin them fast enough to self clean effectively, nor should they be so skinny that it'll just dig to china. The deeper the mud is the less you want to dig down. Therefore the wider the tires. But as stated, make sure you have the engine and gearing to handle it.

Sand: Wider is better. You can go two ways here. Either a non aggressive tread and try not to break traction too much *or* a sand paddle style tire and hammer the throttle. Both can be fairly effective. Just require different driving techniques...

And that's the final word on the subject... [img]images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]</font>
post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-18-2002, 08:31 AM

Yeah whatever...[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode