Home made shackel flip? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2002, 09:05 AM Thread Starter

Home made shackel flip?

Ive seen a bunch of guy just modifying the factory hanger. I know and understand how it is donel. My question is about how much lift does this provide. I am most likely going to do this to save my self the money.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2002, 10:56 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Home made shackel flip?

You will get 4" lift total on the rear because you are actually moving teh rear pring down 8" but you only gane 1/2 that because the front isn't moving at all
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2002, 01:32 PM
ratlover

and I would assume that it dosnt mess up your pinion angle at the rear end as much....so if you did that with 2" lift springs yould get a 6" lift without changing your pinion agles as much and it would be a more flexy set up right? And couldnt you apply the same principal to the front? I dont know much about this stuff....just mostly thinking aloud.

With bracing can a homemade spring hanger be made as strong as the bought ones(and how do those compare to factory?)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2002, 01:38 PM

<font face="Times New Roman">
<font color=green>The shackle flip will not work in the front, the shackles are already in compression up there.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2002, 01:46 PM
ratlover

like ords heavy duty shackels.....from thier site<font color=green>"Also, we make the shackles1/2" longer than stock to keep your lift springs from hitting the frame......Why arenít they longer yet? Extra length on a shackle gives you more caster (which isnít too bad in moderation) and tips your front pinion down. The pinion angle can quickly get to the point that the yoke has to be clearance ground for the driveshaft to rotate. This can be a major problem and is the reason we keep the extra length to a minimum"</font color=green> Could you make the front shackle a bit longer yet to avoid the <font color=green>"why dont we make them longer"</font color=green> problems they talk about?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2002, 02:37 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

you could BUT your driveline would probably bind and your steering would be different.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2002, 03:09 PM
ratlover

Why? whats the difference in dropping the front with springs or dropping the shackels?(in reference to the binding) I know if you rotate the pinion up you affect your steering(caster specificly and only that I think right?)
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2002, 03:16 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

if you only drop the rear part of the spring then you are pointing your pinion to the ground. If you dropped the front shakle and the rear then it would be the same as a lift spring
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2002, 03:19 PM

<font face="Times New Roman">
<font color=green>If you drop with shackles it only drops the back of the springs down, so it aims the pinion down, affecting caster and making it hard to make the driveshaft work without binding. With 6" or more lift it's hard enough to get it to work well without binding, putting ultra long shackles on there would make it real difficult. Also, for every inch you extend the shackes, you only get .5" of lift, so to get 2" of lift, you'd need 4" longer shackles[img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img].
post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2002, 03:33 PM
ratlover

Please dont take this as smart a$$...I dont know and am trying to learn this stuff, 4" shackles is bad? I dont see how if properly built/braced but I am ignorant to this kinda stuff.

If doing a setup like this I would have a more lift in the front....mostly to help the pinion angle(rotate it up) like using 4" longer shackles in the front and 2" in the rear shackle of the front. Or that would be my thought.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode