Starter Woe's!!! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2002, 01:09 PM Thread Starter

Starter Woe\'s!!!

Ok, I am stuck!! I am about to put in my third starter in as many months in my '76 Blazer. 1st one broke the tail housing in HALF!! Second one bound and froze while engauged. Third one is working, but is sounds like it will quit at any moment. My block is a '71 350, 325hp, balanced and blueprinted. Only has about 1000 miles on it. When I had it balanced, the machine shop ordered a new flywheel for it which turned out to be about an inch larger in diameter than the stock one, but everything bolts right up. First starter was from the truck when I bought it. (no shim) Second was Schucks. (no shim) Third is NAPA. (shim across the rear) I have always thought the starter sounded loud (sorta high pitched almost grinding sound), but figured that was just the way it was. Now I am convinced there is a pattern developing. I am just sure I am doing something wrong, I couldn't have gotten three bad starters could I? The engine is timed right and runs extremely well. There isn't a "wrong" way to install a starter is there?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2002, 04:00 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Starter Woe\'s!!!

Even tho you said the third one had a shim, I'll bet it isn't the right thickness. Get a shim kit from Napa with the instructions on how to verify the right clearance.

Those noisy starters sound awful...........and can ruin a flywheel real easily..........be thankful you are wearing out starters and not chipping teeth on flywheels.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2002, 06:36 PM Thread Starter

Re: Starter Woe\'s!!!

Cool, thanks, I will check them out. I just used the shim that came with the starter. I looked through all my books and none of them say anything about clearance. All of the starters I have replaced in the past have all been direct replacements with no problems. Thanks for the tip!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode