Help me diagnose a problem! + are brake jobs hard? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2002, 02:51 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Help me diagnose a problem! + are brake jobs hard?

Hi folks,

Recently my 88 suburban (3/4 ton, 5.7liter, 4x4) has developed a "hollow sounding howl" on acceleration, especially 40mph and up. The "howl" is followed by a belt whine/squeel above 50mph or so, like a belt is moving faster than whatever it's attached to. (?) Could it be a failing device- such as exhaust air pump or something? (I dont have A/C) Any ideas are appreciated!

Also, how hard would a brake-job be? (front disks on 8-lug 10bolt and rear drums on a SF 14 bolt) I have the Haynes manual for my truck, but I'm asking for an experienced point of view. Or should I take it to Midas or some similar brake place?

Thanks all, I dont have a lot of mechanical knowledge but I want to learn and I'm sick of paying some dude $80 an hour.

-Ryan
'88 Suburban
'64 Unimog 404
'63 Haflinger (on its way)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2002, 06:01 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Help me diagnose a problem! + are brake jobs h

check to make sure the belts are tight. Just grab one and wank it and it shouldn't move much at all. Brake are very easy, make sure you get the rotors turned if putting new pads on. The rear shoes are a little more difficult because of the springs but get a chiltons or hayes manual and it makes it easier or take the drum off one side then do the other so you can look at the other to know how it goes back together.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-11-2002, 04:52 PM

or the rear brakes just take one side apart at a time. that way you can look at the other for reference. it isnt a very complex job at all, but sometiems getting the springs back on can be tedious...not ahrd thouhg.
the fronts are VERY simple. i did three of them i nthe last 2 days actually. 2 1/2ton trucks and a cavalier, but the cavie uses the same tools and techniques. all you'll need is an allen wrench of the appropriate size..i dont know off the top of my head what that is though. just unscrew the two bolts i nthe back side of the caliper and opull out...replace pads, and reinstall.
i am a big opponent of turning rotors. if the ned to be turned from warping especially. i didnt do anything to ,mine and they stop well even under load. but you could pull the rotors off and then hit them with soem sand paper to remove any glazing. i dont think its terribly necessary though
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-11-2002, 07:11 PM

ya me and my dad did my drums today in like an hour, he had some special tool for the springs which made it alot easier
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-12-2002, 06:08 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for all the info- I'll give the brakes (at least the fronts) a go this week!

-Ryan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode