16 inch steel rims fit? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-08-2002, 09:13 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

16 inch steel rims fit?

I have 75 6 lug axles on my 69 gmc and want to change from the rally 15 inchers to a set of later model factory 16's for street driving. Already have some free 16" tires. Will keep 15" mud treads for just that...muddin. Will the late 80 and later 4x4 16's with 6 holes fit the older axles bolt pattern and center hole? My junk yard that has some is a long ways off and he doesn't know squat about what fits on this subject. My bolt pattern is the same as my old 86 k-5 blazer that had 15"ers. What is the width on these two types of rims also...thanks. Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-08-2002, 05:48 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: 16 inch steel rims fit?

I THINK they will fit but not sure. My advise is screw the 16"ers. I got some thinking I needed it for my 3/4 ton setup then I found out you can fir 15" on 3/4-1 ton axles if the wheel is steal. I understand you want the newer wheel look but tire prices and option are limited in 16. Shoot, 16.5s are cheap and have more selection. I just don't like the 16's anymore. Now that I am done rambling.........
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-08-2002, 07:52 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

I'm a fan of either 15" or 17" wheels.

16.5" wheels are useless. Ever see the bead on one? I don't see the benefit in a 16" wheel either.

As for a later model 16" wheel fitting on a earlier model axle, I don't know why it wouldn't. The early Dana44 (open knuckle) is nearly identical to the later Dana44 and the 10 bolt and that's all I'd worry about. I'm pretty sure all 6 on 5.5" bolt pattern factory wheels were the same anyway.

Now aftermarket wheels are different. Some are designed for Toyotas which have the same bolt pattern but have a smaller hole for the hub.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-08-2002, 09:40 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

My concern about the rims is that the center hole is said to be smaller than on the vehicles that came out with the 15" rims. This is from one of the not so helpful folks on the phone at the local salvage yard. I didn't realize that the center hole on the later models would be smaller and still have the same bolt pattern. My reason for wanting the 16' rims is that I have a few sets of all terrains only worn about 75% that I can use on this one when running the highways. FREE tires If I can find rims that don't break me. The factory steels would only be about 20 buck a piece, and I don't really like the spoked white one's that run about $45. Just want to quiet the ride on the long hauls, my MT's really sing.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-08-2002, 10:02 PM
bigwishlist

I dont think so. I tryed the stock 16" rims on my 82 blazer and the rim wouldnt fit over the front hub. So I drilled the centers bigger and they rubbed on the brakes and only let the tires turn turn alittle before rubbing undrivable. And in back the offset rubbed on the innerfenderwell.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-08-2002, 10:11 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

Well, have the guy measure the size of the hole. While he's at it have him measure the offset.

I have a set of 16" wheels off a 80s 3/4 ton pickup. They work on my truck. However, I don't think 16" wheels from an IFS truck will work on a SFA truck. 16" wheels then came on half tons and I think the hole was smaller in the middle because of no hubs.

$20 is way too expensive for used steel wheels. There's a guy selling steel factory wheels for $5/each. He has chrome ones (need to be steel-wooled) for $20/each. He has a set of 15x10 aluminum rims that he's supposed to sell me for $80 but he hasn't gotten back to me yet. Anyway, $100 for a set of used aftermarket wheels is the standard here. It's kind of funny. Wheels are relatively cheap but expect to pay $300-500 for a junk 350.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode