Massive distributor fiassco(maybe new motor time?) - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-07-2002, 10:35 AM
ratlover

Massive distributor fiassco(maybe new motor time?)

Why cant anything go right[img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img] All I wanted to do was swap distributors in my 83 4x4 w/305 because it was a peice of junk and figured while I was at it I might as well swap the CI manifold I have for a performer rpm I had laying around. Everything swaped ok(after way to many trips to the parts store for carb cleaner that I did find a can in the garage later) and for a new kobalt torque wrench(very nice by the way[img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img] ) for 100$ because mine wouldnt go low enough and a trip to the same store for washers(20min later).....anyway the swap went alright. Go to start it and wouldnt fire, hop out and turn the distributor a bit try agan and nothing....turn a bit more and still nothing so I go get my remote start switch and strt cranking whil turning the distributor and still nothing....she dont act like its getting spark. put a timing light on it and yup no spark[img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img] got juice going to the coil says my multimeter(had to rewire that part after I swaped the tranny last month so I figured it nuked itself again for no reason) what gives??? Pop off cap and crank it over and the rotor aint spinning WTF???This cant be good I think. Pull the distributor and the gear aint there anymore[img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img][img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img] Fish out the shims with a magnet but the gear wont come out[img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img] Well its now late and I have a headache so its bed time. Tonight I might tackel this again.....probably yank the manifold and fish out the gear. Put it back together and hope the pin dont find its way into some place critical. When I put the distributor in it started and turned a bit so the pin was doing its job then. The distributor came outa a fine running truck, it was new or rebuilt when it went into the truck and didnt have many miles on it. Oil pump spins. What gives??? I cant believe the pin would shear and what would cause it to spit out? If I can manage to get it stuck back together I'm going to start her at WOT cuz if that little pin does any damage I want this sucker to granade....at least I want to get see some carnage....just siezing is boring. I hope I dont have to yank the cam and all that to get it out and I dont plan on dropping the pan to fish out the pin....this is a whole lota work for a tired 305 in need of rebuild. Maybe I just need to rebuild a 350 for it now....or use the 454 I got waiting for the Velle.....all it would take would be a cam change(solid roller) and I could try to sell the cam(its been put in the motor but not ran)? Man this sux[img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img] Any thoughts on the cause of this or ideas on what I should do to fix it(anywere from new motor to how to fix the POS)? Sorry for the lenght and general mood of the typing but this hasnt been a good week I should be thankfull that its not worse but this kinda stuff really bums me out TIA for listening guys

Philip
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-07-2002, 10:47 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Massive distributor fiassco(maybe new motor time?)

I've got most of a 305 with low miles (20-25k) on it if you want it. $300 and I'll bring it part way to ya from Michigan. It's missing one head, aside from that it's complete.

I've got to liquidate parts... I just bought a house and I'm moving in a couple weeks.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-07-2002, 11:02 AM
ratlover

Thanks for the offer but I think if I am going through the work I aint sticking a 305 back in its place.....but that might be an cheap option....got anything else hiding in your garage?[img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-07-2002, 01:46 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yeah I do have other stuff, but it doesn't run and you prolly wouldn't want to build it... 6.2L Diesel's aren't cheap to be had or gone through. I might have a line on a 400 SBC if you're interested. I know next to nothing about it right now but I can say that it runs.

I hear you can build one hell of a screamin' gasser out of the old 350 Diesel engines using stock 350 gasser components for the most part. I guess the bottom end is more HD than a 4 bolt main block. Rumor has it the 350 Diesel blocks can be punched out about .250" and stroked to get something over 400 CID, and still run nitro or alky on top of it. Might be worth some looking into since NOBODY liked the 350 Diesels and they are probably pretty cheap if you can come by one.

It would be an interesting project...
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-07-2002, 01:59 PM
ratlover

actually aint got a problem rebuilding stuff.....hummmm, I have heard a bit about the deisel to gaser conversion....know of any place for info? Might be an idea.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-07-2002, 02:15 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Well, normally when people refer to a Diesel to gasser conversion they are referring to an engine swap from a Diesel engine to a gasser. Converting a Diesel engine to operate on gas might be a little more complicated but I don't see why it couldn't be done if all the right gas engine parts bolt on properly as seems the case with a 350 Diesel and 350 gasser.

You might want to check the Diesel forum on the k5 site or check out The Diesel Page. Dave might also have heard something about doing such a conversion, too. Let's start a thread...
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-07-2002, 04:00 PM
ratlover

I heard that you basicly swap heads and valve train and such and thats about it.....might be an interesting project
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-07-2002, 08:31 PM
Veteran

Looks like I am missing something....does the OLDS dsl not run at about 18:1 compression??? seems a little to high to me(like 10:1 over!!!) Not sure if you could swap out the pistons.

Ryan
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-08-2002, 07:56 AM
ratlover

yeah, deisels run a bit higher compression[img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] but you could mill the pistons or get new one(probably need em anyway for a rebuild)

On a side note....I fished out the gear last night with a coat hanger a magnet and every ounce of patience left in me[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]. About to find TDC and relize the only plug I cant get to with my headers is 8 and 1[img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img] so I figured stick her in and if she dont fire turn the rotor 180, a little lazy but what the heck I realld dont feel like yanking my headder and haveing to buy another gasket or cleaning it well enough for copper rtv to stick to[img]images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] And would you believe it I actually lucked out(had a 50/50 shot) and she fired the first time[img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img] Now hopefully that little damn pin dont find its way into my oil pump
post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-08-2002, 08:55 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I posted a thread about this on the K5 Diesel site and AMJ says he saw a conversion like this in a Cutlas someone wrote an article about in a magazine. The engine was turning out 700+ HP [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

I guess you have to use Oldsmobile parts... most SBC stuff won't work.

Here's a link -> <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&amp;Board=deisel&amp;Number=4033 66&amp;page=0&amp;view=collapsed&amp;sb=5&amp;o=&a mp;fpart=> 350 Diesel Conversion </a>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode