Torque Converter lockup - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-06-2002, 10:43 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Torque Converter lockup

Here are a few pics/ diagrams of my wiring harness for the 700R4 to tell it to lockup. Well, it's not locking and I'm not sure on which wires should be hot for it to lockup. Any help please
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 765925-trannywire.jpg (45.1 KB, 60 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-06-2002, 10:46 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Torque Converter lockup

Real pic of harnes
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 765927-tranywire2.jpg (36.9 KB, 48 views)
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-06-2002, 12:44 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

Well, it's usually the vacuum switch in my experience that fails. I'd unhook your detent cable and then eliminate the vacuum switch and hook up a temporary toggle switch so you can control it.

I don't have a wiring schematic but if I had to guess by what your pictorial diagram shows that you'd need all the wires to be hot. That connector in your lower left might be for a temperature sensor to stop the torque converter from locking up when the motor is cold. I, myself, eliminated mine but I think mine worked off vacuum anyway. I'll look at it after my final exam tonight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-06-2002, 01:14 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I tested the vacuum switch and if I suck on the hose it does open. This quite working after I put the new motor in. Maybe I'll run a togle switch to test it maybe the vacuum port or something is bad. Thanks
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-12-2002, 06:46 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I played with this all day yesterday in my new 85 Jimmy full size, and it came down to: all THREE wires have to have power to them for it to lock up
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-13-2002, 09:04 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks! I found a wiring diagram and it looks like to me (very hard to read though) and it looked like one is always on, one is for 4th gear and one is for 3rd gear but I wasn't sure on that. I'm taking my truck in this morning later to the shop because even with all 3 hot it still wouldn't lock so it has to be internal somewhere
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode