k5 blazer - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-04-2002, 04:35 PM
imported_ChevyLover

k5 blazer

How hard is is to put the 14 bolt from a 'Burb into a Blazer. Any fabrication?? What size rears come with a blazer? 10 bolt or d44's??

I was also wondering what the optimal height for a Blazer is? This rig will be a trail only truck. Trailered to and from, what would everyone suggest to make this thing the best that it can be.

I am new into this whole scene and thank everyone that puts aside their time to help everyone out. thanks all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-04-2002, 05:12 PM

Re: k5 blazer

If its from a burb it will bolt in, the adapter u joint for half tn driveshaft to 1 ton axle is available from NAPA, the blazers used 12bolts till 80 in the back, the 10 bolts from then on.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-08-2002, 12:35 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Those u joint NAPA conversion joints are either #348 or 447

Optimal height is an opinoin thing. Figure the lower your center of gravity the better. I have a 4" Tuff Country lift on my 79 with 35" SSR's and it rocks off road.........helps having one ton drivetrain with Detroits too. But also have a buddy that has a 2.5" Rancho lift with 38" Swampers..........yes he hacked the fenders but he doesn't mind cause it's his trail rig (and his daily driver, but to each their own).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-09-2002, 07:42 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Trailering a K5 ?
Is it broken?
A K5 on a trailer is heresy.
Silly rabbit trailers are for Jeeps.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-09-2002, 06:07 PM
imported_ChevyLover

The only reason that we will be trailering is because we are trying to save money. That way we don't have to insure or tag it. We both have trailering capable vehicles and a trailer so why not.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2002, 04:39 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Greg,
its doug from HGR. I did the same swap that you are doing. Had me a blazer with a 6 inch lift and 3 inch body and cut the fenders for 39.5 boggers. The 14 bolt will bolt up, no problem, and if you need one i have a buddy that has one for a real decent price. Mine was strickly a trail rig, most of the local mud bogs, Frog Eye, Bodatious, Parsons, it was a bear to trailer if you dont have something big. i have a Dodge Ram 1500 and it was alright but it pushed it down the road a bit.For those of you who dont like the trailering idea then boo hoo... your truck isn't big enough. after enough frame reinforcements, tickets, dollars draining down my pocket from fuel fill ups, breaking down and not getting home it was a sensable thing to get a trailer. For all of those gas fillups that you used this month I could put a cage and hydraulic steering in. it was a plus not having insurance or anything like that. plus if you are not putting a whole ton of cosmetics into the truck then you have more for the real modifications. Start with gutting the interior. get rid of all the stuff that you wont need. I junked everything. had lots of room for tools and boxes plus a full size spare in the bed. Next, reinforce the steering box if you plan to use it any. she will crack under extreme use. I'm fixing my 62 this weekend. The frame was a 79 blazer and it cracked after about 2.5 months of mild wheeling and road driving on the boggers. There is a shop in Brunswick, MD. Right off of 340 on the other side of Frederick that can hook you up with hydraulic steering for a decent price. give me a call or mail and i'll give you the number of his shop. the guy does real awesome work and has a hell of a shop. As far as the rest of the truck is concerned any decent driveshaft shop can get you the u joints that you will need. I cant remember was tranny you are running but if at all possible upgrade to the 1 ton yokes and u joints. i found the only weak spot in my drive lines were in the conversion u joints. Give me a buzz if you need parts or an idea for the blaz. I'll post some pics if I ever get tham scanned.
TSB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode