Steering arm removal - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-04-2002, 10:33 AM
73or87

Steering arm removal

How do you take the old steering arm off? So I can put my new one in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-04-2002, 10:40 AM

Re: Steering arm removal

<font face="comic Sans MS">Which part are you referring to, the pitman arm (on the steering box itself) or the idler arm (on the frame across from it)?

Assuming you mean the pitman arm you'll need a puller. Is probably easiest to simply remove the (steering) box from the truck. Put it carefully in a vice, zap that nut off, and then put the puller on there, tighten a little at a time (when it won't tighten any more do not keep tightening, it'll break the puller regardless of what quality it is, it'll most likely destroy puller before arm comes off. Now you have two options.

One being where you hit the pitman arm with a hammer after puller is tightened. It sets up vibrations through it that may help pop it off.

Other option is to put some wet cloths on the shaft and steering box body so it doesn't heat up too much and heat the pitman arm with a torch, it'll expand and pop off... [img]images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] Are the two easiest options I can think of.

To seperate the steering arm from pitman arm and idler arm and other components remove the little nuts and procure either a puller for it, hammer on the threaded end of the joint or get a picklefork... [img]images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

Sorry now I'm just rambling... Will shut up now... [img]images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]</font>
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-04-2002, 11:31 PM

hey tim, were talkin' strait axle here, steering arm is on the drivers knuckle.
now to the question. i have had a couple come off easy, but several i had to torch off. under the nuts are tapered sleeves, that are a PITA to remove.
what i can say to start you off, i soak the nuts, etc with pb blaster or your favorite rust buster overnite, next day take the nuts loose (not off yet, you got hammering to do, so don't kill the threads) and if your lucky, the sleeves will pop loose and the arm will come off. in a not so perfect world, you'll be hammering for quite a while.
good luck, may the force be with you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-05-2002, 06:59 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

OTC makes a set of cone pliers that will make that job a peice of cake.
Once the cones are off the arm will slip right off.
I do not soak the studs or any of that stuff, I just remove the nuts and with a 6lb hammer I whack one end of the arm upwqards and then reseat it the cone will pop up a little and the pliers will pluck it right out.
Then I go to the opposite side and repeat.
Once the 2 end ones are off the middle one will be loose enough to be plucked out also.
it has not taken me more than 10 minutes to remove a steering arm.
<a target="_blank" href=http://www.cartools.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&amp;Store_Code=001&amp;Pro duct_Code=hvsdOTC7077&amp;Category_Code=SD>cone pliers</a>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode