Paint Job? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-03-2002, 06:14 PM Thread Starter

Paint Job?

In like 3 weeks my GMC will be back home from the school shop, cuz the year is over, and very shorter after that it is going to be painted. One of my friend's boyfriend works at a F*rd dealership, and does an awesome job of painting cars.He might do it for the cost of paint, and prolly some beer money. Im wondering on painting my truck all Blue like RJs, or have the two tone redone. the two tone looks like what the attachments, blue with silver

http://www.bncoffroad.com/crush/2001/01_50.jpg

still havent figured out the attachment thing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-03-2002, 06:21 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

Re: Paint Job?

Doing two colors is going to take a lot more time and it's going to cost more because you'll have to have two paints mixed.

I do like two-tone a lot better though. However, my favorite by far is red with a black stripe down the side even though red is my least favorite color.

Since I'm poor I'll probably have to paint mine midnight blue, the same color it is.

Good luck, let us know how it turns out.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-04-2002, 12:02 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Better save some money. Painting with good paint is not as cheap as you think it is. I figured when I painted my truck last weekend I would not spend much money. I have a buddy that sells paint, supplies, and body parts for a living and sells it all to me at cost. I spent 360 bucks on paint, reducer, primer, catalyst, hardner, tape, drop cloths, plastic sheeting for garage, sand paper, and other things. I already had the DA sanders and paint guns. I bought concept urethane paint which turned out awesome. I never realized how much was involved in painting a vehicle. I spent 110 bucks on rubbing compound, 1500 grit sand paper, polishing compound, polishing wheels, and a few other things just to polish it tommorrow. It's a lot of work. If you plan on having your buddy paint it that saves a ton of money but there is still a lot of work involved. Make sure you sand it smoother than a baby's [censored] otherwise every little inprefection will show through. Watch the corners when you sand too. It's very easy to flatten them out. I spent at least 20 hours sanding down my truck before I painted it with no body work needed at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-04-2002, 02:44 PM
Resurrection_Joe

I seem to be a good reference around here

Anyway, you can buy my bed if you want, and then it will be half blue eh? [img]images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] My Flatbed Type R(ezzy) will be flat black cheap spray paint, so no worries there, if the blue goes bad it gets a shot of black too. Personally, unless you are going to go all balls out and restore the truck I wouldn't bother. Asthetics are superficial when you get down to it. Think of all the loveley things you could buy with paint money. Eh? Am I right, or am I right, or am I right? Eh? Hahahahaha. Do whatever you want man, but don't go painting up a truck that you wont have forever. I sure as hell wouldnt spend paint money on mine wheather it is as it is or my daily driver unmodified.

Ramble ramble ramble

And that's why RJ killed all the dinosaurs!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-04-2002, 04:26 PM Thread Starter

well, its gonna be my daily driver and work truck too, my dad said he would pay half the paint cost. As it is right now the truck is 5 colors right now. Blue, Silver, Black, Bondo, and the original brown primer. Im not gonna have the inside of the bed painted. cuz itll just get scratched to sit in a week anyway. How much do you guys think for just the paint for a truck around $600? its a long box too. Hmm that reminds me, i need to get a tailgate, so it can get painted at the same time, OFF TO THE SALVAGE YARD!

and also, all the things i could buy with paint money, my dad has already told me i cant get anything over a 2 inch lift. and i can get bigger tires till these wear down, fortunetly they have a agressive tread.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-04-2002, 11:50 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

if you just want it one color use Sherwin Williams Industrial Enamel it looks decent and it's like 25 bucks a gallon. you can spray it with a cup gun and thin it with mineral spirts and it's a tuff paint that's what mine is painted with. you can get it in any color you want don't get red it fades to pink in 3 months.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-06-2002, 10:28 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I like the red and white. The white and then at the bottom red. it looks tuff
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-06-2002, 11:07 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

My truck cost about $2500 for paint. That also included new cab corners and new back window. He stripped the paint to bare metal and started clean. It is all black with 2 charcole/ silver SS stripes on the hood and tailgate like the stripes your would see on a SS Chevelle. That includes all labor and parts and I helped the body guy too which probably dropped the prices a tad
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-06-2002, 11:08 PM Thread Starter

ya i doing all body work
my back window im prolly gonna put in, my sliding part is shot, and racing stripes are a no go here.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-07-2002, 09:18 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

ya, I wish I never did the stripes. I wanted something no one else had around here so I put them on. About 4-5 months later another kid put same kind of stripes on his IFS 4x4 chevy then about few month after that a kid put black stripes on his white IFS chevy 4x4 that had yellow rockers and grill (tackey?!?!) Then yet another older chevy truck put same style stripes on his truck too. GRRRRRRRRRRR. Pissed me off. I think I'll get a cowl hood and use one of my spare tailgates and just go black and sell my hood/ tailgate to someone else who wants stripes. Maybe I can pay for the hood that way. I think I may get cut out flair and paint them grey/; charcole
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode