buying an 89 blazer - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-03-2002, 11:41 AM Thread Starter

buying an 89 blazer

so its my day off, and my brother pulls up for lunch, but not in his truck. he pulls up in a 89 k5 blazer.
Apparently someone is selling it for 1500, and he's interested in buying it.
Body is in ok condition, but one door got smacked. No rust on the body except from where the rear tires threw stones. The engine sounds great/runs good. Decent tires, but i have another set for him anyway, if needed. Underside looks ok, but not great. Theres some cancer (rust) at the mounts. My question is, whats wrong with this truck? Are they notoriously weak in one area? Is there anything i should be looking for when i see it again?

TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-03-2002, 05:53 PM

Re: buying an 89 blazer

I believe that the stock 89 K5s have 10 bolt front and rear, so axles are week. And transfer case i think its a NP208, although im not sure, did the transfer cases change on K5s in 88 to? THere is guys hear who know alot more about this stuff then me.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-03-2002, 06:05 PM

<font color=blue>Check for rust in the rocker boxs, There're maybe the worst place for rust on these trucks. And can often be rusted, Even if you don't think they are. Check under the carpet to. Also check the frame by the steering box, To see if it's cracked. (A rather commen problem on these trucks[img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img].) Even if it's not, It whould be a good idea the get the frame brace from <a target="_blank" href=http://www.offroaddesign.com>www.offroaddesign.com</a>. I'd get both the weld in, and bolt in kits, To be on the safe side. You should also find out if it's ever been repainted. The paint on 89's has a nasty peeling problem on most vechicles. And like Drey said, 10 bolt axles are rather week, But that can be fixed easy enough. T-Case should be a NP241, Auto tranny is a 700R4, Manuals are the SM-465.</font color=blue>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-03-2002, 09:29 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

89 k-5 don't have rocker boxes. i have one sitting in my driveway and it is the normal rockers, but they rot out a lot also. the rocker boxes were on the full converts like from 69-75 or somthing like that. for things to check- inner wheel wells, rockers under the carpet front seats and behind them (common thing is for them to rust out behind the seats and like split in 1/2) as the steering box was alsready said, other then that like normal things... i guess it is something with the k-5 because my dad's also had a few body mounts that were shot. as for our drivetrain, we have the stock 10 bolt axle in the rear not sure what the front is and the sm465 tranny. ours is my dads daily driver, well some times. but they are great trucks fun things just to romp around in.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-03-2002, 10:41 PM Thread Starter

Yes, i did notice that they were 10-bolt, which is not so hot in my opinion. Whats the limits to that axle, gear/tire wise?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-04-2002, 12:18 AM

I think someone said 33s can be run on them. 35s can but watch the lead foot, i think thats about right, although Heck just get a 12 inch lift and slap on some 44s you'll be fine

NO DO NOT DO THAT.. just kiddin around
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-05-2002, 09:47 AM Thread Starter

He bought the truck yesterday while i was out, and loves it! Probably wont do anythnig to it for a while, but i have a set of 31's and (soon) 33's for him, which look like theyll fit fine. Definite lead foot there, so we'll stick with those for now....

thanks everyone!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode