What are the best tires? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-02-2002, 04:28 PM
73or87

What are the best tires?

I have a 73 3/4 ton with a 6" suspension lift and 3" body lift. I need tires. I want to use for mudding, in the sand and still be able to drive around town and get decent wear. What would be the best size for me? What kind does everyone run?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-02-2002, 04:48 PM

Re: What are the best tires?

<font face="Times New Roman">
<font color=green>So ya want it all, do ya?[img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] I like the BFG mud terrains, I think you can get them in 37x12.5s now, those would work nice but may be a bit much for the front D44. The 35s would work too, or if you want to get more aggressive but give up tread life you could go with the Swampers. I like the Radials, I'd recommend the 36x12.5, or the 36x14.5 if you don't mind breakage in the front end too much. I foresee other people recommending Coopers and Bias Swampers. For some reason there are people on this board that have convinced themselves that Bias Swampers last as long as the Radials, but I've never found that to be the case. They are stronger but more difficult to live with day to day.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-02-2002, 09:28 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Whatever you choose, I agree with Shaggy about the radials. I would NEVER choose a tire that was not a radial. Aggressive radial tires can slip enough on wet roads...bias ply tires are worse.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-03-2002, 10:48 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I just went through the same thing. I was buying 315/75r16 bfg mud terrain km's for my 85 3/4 ton 4x4. The tires are backordered over a month now. That was last week so it could be worse now. I decided to go with Pro Comp mud terrains in the same size. I have never seen the tires in the mud so I don't know how they do. They look almost the same as the bfg's. I've heard that they are just as good as the bfg tires. I will receive my wheels and tires on tuesday and I'll post what I think of them.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-04-2002, 02:37 PM
Resurrection_Joe

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

Aggressive radial tires can slip enough on wet roads...bias ply tires are worse.

<hr></blockquote>

Sipey Sipey..... [img]images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Short Testament - Siped 36x14.5 TSL's beat the crap out of my 255/85/R16 Wild Country RVT's on ice.

I only have one of my bias siped so far, but that corner is the only one not vibrating like a (vibrating thing reference) ----- whatever. Anyway, sipe anything you get. I'm proud to say I've siped my boots. Yep, my boots!

Oh, I recommend any TSL Swamper
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-04-2002, 04:27 PM

are yopu referring to boots as in Merril/redwing/timbnerland type of boots and not the boots on the 4 corners of teh truck? i thought i was the only person with a mind bent enough to dosomething like that. It looks like i am not alone. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-04-2002, 05:26 PM

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

I'm proud to say I've siped my boots. Yep, my boots!

<hr></blockquote>

<font color=blue>Ya know the boots I was wearing when I was at your place?[img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] (Yeah sure you do[img]images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]) I cut some sipes in those a year or so ago, Can't say I noticed any traction differance, But hey Siped boots are cool!!![img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img] (Siped tires are cooler though[img]images/icons/laugh.gif[/img].</font color=blue>
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-04-2002, 11:24 PM
bigwishlist

I have new BFG mud terrains. And I choosed them over procomp cause of the side wall tred. When aired down a little I can get a tread pattern as wide as 14.5" out of my 33x12.5r15BFGMT.
I got the tires new from a swapmeet for $408.00 for all 4.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-05-2002, 10:11 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have the same lift here 6' and a 3' and i threw on a set of 38x15.50's tsl Im lovn them so far and get ya threw that mud.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode