'87 burb buildup` - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-02-2002, 03:51 PM
imported_ChevyLover

\'87 burb buildup`

OK, heres the deal. My brother and I were given an '87 burb 3/4 ton. We want to make this thing the most capable it can be with as little money spent. I am still in college and he is just about to get out. As of right now it has a ragged out 350, and 14 bolt rear and 44 up front. Where we go wheeling highcentering is a concern. we were going to go with a 12" lift and 44's till i read some of these posts. That sounds like it is going to be a boat load of work we are not ready to get into. Any help on what we should do would be really appreciated. I have an IFS 92 full size blazer and he has a 95 tacoma with 5 1/2 inches of lift. we love fourwheeling but don't like using our daily drivers, for risk of hurting them. Thanks guys.

You all have given some great advice on this chat and i would love to get some too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-02-2002, 03:58 PM

Re: \'87 burb buildup`

<font face="Times New Roman">
<font color=green>For least amount spent I'd go with the following -

6" Spring packs in the front, I recommend Tuff Country because they are nice and flexy for a factory pack

Shackle flip in the rear (you can do a homebrew one or buy one from ORD) with 2" block or add a leaf to level it out

Used tires as large as you can find, up to 36", larger than that is too much for the front end

This combo will keep the CG fairly low but still allow for decent clearance to avoind high centering, although with a Burb it's always an issue.

Things that will have to be addressed - brake lines, front driveshaft, steering correction, lose the front swaybar.

Find a decent used engine for it, small block should be fine and will be easier on the front end.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-02-2002, 04:17 PM
imported_ChevyLover

Hey thanks.

From some of the post i have read i heard 8+3 alot. Is that much more work. I think my bro is really looking forward to 40's or more. Will they require a D60. We might have a lead on a 383 stroker with 440hp. Childres(?spelling?) racing build from a buddy of ours. we are planning to use a sawsall to get rid of unwanted fenders (most all of them) function over form. this will be a trail only rig. Trailered from trail to trail with my blazer, or my pops roll-back.

Would it be worth it to just save the money and get a 1-ton pickup? with the d60 up front. We were looking forward to the people capacity though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-02-2002, 04:53 PM

<font color=green>Let's put it this way - I used to pop my D44 with 38s, and the axle was beefed as much as possible. Cro-Mo axleshafts, Full case l/s, warn premiums, good quality gears, and the axle was rebuilt before I started running. it. I stripped 2 ring gears, broke several axleshafts including a Warn one, and broke a bunch of steering joints. And I tend to be pretty light on the throttle foot, it was just too much tire for the 44. You could find a D60 and put it in your Burb, it's an easy swap, just a difficult axle to find for a good price. I'm swapping 1 ton gear into my truck this summer and will probably go to 42s next time I buy tires.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-02-2002, 10:20 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for the thread ChevyLover, and the replies Shaggy. I've been wondering the same things about my '87 'Burban. I'm looking for 1-ton axles right now... nothing cheap so far tho [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

I think I've decided (change my mind everyday tho) on 38s with a 6" suspension lift and no body lift. Seems like I read on this board that 38s were as big as you can go without dinking around with the driveshafts.

Will the 38s work on a 6": suspension lift? I don't mind cutting away fender, but I don't want to start hacking my inner fenderwells tho.

Good luck on your '87 [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Chris
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-03-2002, 01:35 AM

<font color=green>38s work with 6" with pretty major surgery on the front fenders. You have to cut quite a bit of material off of it, you don't have ot do anything to the inner fender other than fold it back and make it stay tight up against the cab floor. Stay with a decent amount of backspacing and you'll be fine. The farther out the tires stick the worse they'll rub when it's turned. Mine are tucked completely under the fenders and rub only under pretty major flex. 10" rim with 4 3/8 backspacing, I beleive.

About the 38s on the 44 though - read what I said above, I don't recommend it. ANd I had it on a much lighter 1/2 ton shortbed, not a big old tuna boat like your burb...[img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img][img]images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Just noticed - Chevylover, you're sure that you have a 44 in the front? If so it was swapped at some point? An 87 should have a 10 bolt in it, which is a bit weaker still than the 44. Some people claim they're the same strength, but the 44 has more beef in some critical areas.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-03-2002, 03:32 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

strip the whole thing down and you will lose a good bit of weight. Lose all of the seats, they are heavy and put some of those racing seats from summit in there. Chop the top, and put in a cage and there goes some more. Cut the fenders for clearence. I had a blazer with a 4 inch lift and a 3 inch body, cut the fenders 2.5 inches and only had minimal rubbing with 39.5 boggers. For the ultimate tranny i would just find a 465 with a 205 case and get new driveshafts. Those tranny's are a dime a dozen in junk yards. My blazer was a stripped down version of itself and it was light. i had a 350 with the above mentioned combo and i wheeled with it pretty hard with 10 bolt front. I guess I was pretty lucky. i broke some hubs but only one axle shaft in about 2 years of wheeling. i had a burb that was my donor vehicle for the engine and tranny. I only wish i could have had it back now.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-04-2002, 04:31 PM
imported_ChevyLover

I think we are going to bag the 'burb. It is going to cost alot of money to make it a good trail vehicle. The money we are going to put into it could make a great k5, even if we have to go out and buy one(the burb was a doner).

Thanks for your advice.

Another question? How hard is is to put the 14 bolt from the burb into a blazer. any fabrication?? What size rears come with a blazer? 10 bolt or d44's??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode