Got another deal !!! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-01-2002, 09:16 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Got another deal !!!

Just picked up a 1986 GMC 3/4Ton 4x4 tonight. It has 10bolt/14FF rear loaded with 4:10', a TH400 Trany and NP208 case and best of all a 454!!! that is going to go into my pull truck after I tear it down and throw in some goodies[img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]. The guy I got it from had no idea what that 454 was worth. I got the whole truck for $500Cdn (about $250US). I pulled the motor out in 2 hours and when I was done I called up the local wreckers and said I have a 3/4ton rolling chassis and they said they could give me $250 for it. Brings the price of the 454 down to only $250 Cdn or what $125US[img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img][img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Talk about a deal huh!!! now all I have to do is take the heads off the 454 and put the heads from my 366 onto it and I should get the compression up to about 12:1 so I can run alky[img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Just thought I would tell everyone about the new toy in my back yard!

Ryan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-01-2002, 10:01 PM

Re: Got another deal !!!

Grrrrrr, you punk! I've been looking for a rebuildable 454 to build as a mockup willys engine forever. Talked to a guy here parting out a 1986 suburban with a 454 and he wanted 1800 for the engine that needed to be rebuilt[img]images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]. Checked ebay and no one wants to ship[img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img].

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-01-2002, 10:36 PM

why didnt you hold onto the 14FF for a spare axle, if it was that cheap
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-01-2002, 10:45 PM

I got a question, find the early 90's diesel yet?

post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-01-2002, 11:00 PM

is that to me, cuz i dont have enough cash to buy a newer truck, then what i have. i figure if my 6.2 blows, ill take the one outta my scottsdale, that blew the tranny, thats the only good thing about less then $1000 trucks, you can take parts off of one for the other
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-01-2002, 11:05 PM

Nah, it was to Ryan, he sold his new crewcab long bed dually 6.5l td and he was telling me he was going to buy an early 90's and build a performace diesel for it.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-01-2002, 11:14 PM

sorry, i thought i had made you mad at me or something, and i really dont wanna end up like gotlift did, this place is awesome.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-01-2002, 11:53 PM

Why would I be mad at you for you thinking I was asking you a question when it was me that wasn't clear as to who the question was being asked to?[img]images/icons/crazy.gif[/img][img]images/icons/laugh.gif[/img][img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-02-2002, 10:16 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

Jason-

I havn't looked into another truck since I sold the Dually because I have been driving my younger brothers 88 Z71 which 4 years ago used to be mine. Anyway, he is 16 but they are having some strike up here at the drivers licence place so he can't get his beginners and on top of that new drivers have to drive with someone for 8 months before being able to drive by them selves. So I said I would put the truck on the road for 8 months there for saving me tons of cash and then he will get to drive it too.

Anyway, that was last saturday we put it on the road....Tuesday on the way to school the motor blew up on me[img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]. The motor went because of a bad oil filter. The truck already had the trany going so I told him I would pay for the trany and he could put what ever motor he wanted into it. Turns out he decieded to go with a preformance crate built at my uncles buddys race shop. It has hi-perf pistons, its bored .010 over. Has a "towing" cam in it and has new vortec heads and is internally balanced. We get the motor next Thursday and the trany should be back by monday. I am doing the swap so its saving us some money too. We decieded to go with that motor so I can tow the pull truck with out loosing to much mpg on the highway.

Ryan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode