Remote Mounting a Radiator? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-30-2002, 05:16 PM Thread Starter

Remote Mounting a Radiator?

I want to put the radiator for the willys in the back somewhere, what kind of pump does this require? Will a normal water pump move this distance? Or do I need a super duper one? Also, can I use Earls braided radiator line, around 1-3/8" ID for that whole distance? Or should I get some real big stuff?

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-30-2002, 05:38 PM

Re: Remote Mounting a Radiator?

<font face="Times New Roman">
<font color=green>I don't see why a normal pump wouldn't work fine, if your'e worried about it get a high volume one, the long lines will eliminate any of the bad effects of a high volume pump. I'd personally go with the full size hose, closer to 2" maybe? The small diameter of the line will be your main restriction, so I'd go as big as possible.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-30-2002, 05:48 PM

<font face="Comic Sans MS">This is fairly complicated. Change in height will require different pump requirements than the level it's at as will the lines you run. If you go with a bigger line, you decrease the velocity and increase pressure (since pressure and velocity are inversely related). You want to keep the velocity up at least a little bit to prevent laminar flow. Turbulent flow is the best for heat transfer since it mixes things up rather than having a layer of material insulating the material in the line from the walls... Also keep in mind you want a certain flow rate through the radiator for the same reasons. If you go with steel lines your lines themselves will help to radiate heat out as well. However, the downside is the thermostat might not be able to regulate temperature all that well judging by the length of run, potential cooling ability of that much line, etc...

Just a few potential things to think about...</font>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-04-2002, 03:35 PM
Can't Get Enough

Why does Tim have to show up with all these technical terms and shtuff. I like your "Super Duper" designator and other simple phreases that help some of the laymen to comprehend such jibberish.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-04-2002, 04:53 PM

<font face="Comic Sans MS">Tim has to do that because it's part of learning to be an engineer. It's a way that when you're not completely sure of the exact answer you still sound like you know your shtuff... [img]images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] </font>
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-04-2002, 05:50 PM

The truth comes out! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-04-2002, 10:12 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

definitely a mechanical enginmanear.

you must've already had your fluids and dynamics courses. had statics yet?

it's kind of funny how those engineers of different fields can understand what the other field is saying even though they're both engineers. ever listen to a civil engineer talk? i don't even think they know what they're saying.

i still prefer to be an electrical engineer. nothing like talking about bode plots.

what school do you go to?
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-04-2002, 11:34 PM
Veteran

Hey, No cutting up the Civil boy's!!! I am going into my second year. And by the way Statics SUCKs big time!!!!!!

Now for Jasons question, just go spend some money on a electric water pump. Most of the ones in the sumit catalogs are meant for remote rads anyway because thats what half the guys in drag racing do anyway. I will be doing it in the pull truck too if I decieded to run racing gas instead of alky which depends of I can get the compression ratio right or not on the BBC.

Ryan
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-04-2002, 11:53 PM Thread Starter

Wow, an on topic post, who'd a thunk it. Anyway, what size lines do you think? It will be about a 12 foot run from water pump to radiator in/out.

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-05-2002, 07:05 AM
RolngThun

I have never tried the remote rad location thing. This is because everyone I have seen do it has overheating problems.
If you compare the flow rates of those electric coolant pumps, you will find they are way below the belt driven pump rates. If I was to try it, I would run a belt driven pump on the engine, and install a frame mounted electric pump near the rad. This is because I believe since the belt driven pump is a non positive displacement pump it can't flow enough coolant over the longer range.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode