How do I identify a SBC? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-29-2002, 07:46 PM Thread Starter
Old Hand

How do I identify a SBC?

Hi GM folks. I am venturing over here from the Jeep board, because I need some help identifying a Chevy small block. I am looking at an older J-truck that has a Chevy 350, and some sort of 3-speed manual tranny. I'm not even sure that it is a 350, that is just what the owner thinks.. when he got the truck, it was already setup this way.

Are there codes stamped on the engine I can find? Any ideas on the tranny? Reverse is left and up, first is bottom center, second is top center, third is on the right (i forgot if its up or down). The transfer case looks like it might be a Rockwell.

Any pointers to websites or such would be great. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-29-2002, 08:12 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: How do I identify a SBC?

Hey... here are a couple of sites you can try. Hope you find what you're looking for.

http://www.mortec.com/

http://www.nastyz28.com/spmenu.html

post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-29-2002, 08:29 PM
Keyboard Implanted

There were some Jeep vehicles in the late 60's to early 70's that had Buick 350 engines as original equipment. A Buick 350 will have the distributor in the front of the engine block, near the fan, on the drivers side of the block. A Chevy 350 will have the distributor in the rear of the block next to the fire wall.
dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-29-2002, 09:07 PM Thread Starter
Old Hand

Hey dave, good point, I didn't think it could be a Buick. But, the distributor is definately towards the back of the engine. I was surprised to see how clean the engine installation looked, plenty of room on all sides, and the motor mounts looked like they were bought or at least had some thought and engineering in them.

Thanks for the URL's carlos. Anyone else with some input? Transmission ID?

Thanks!!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-29-2002, 11:55 PM
Mud in my Veins

if it smokes real bad for like 10 minutes after you start it then it's a small block chevy

[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] sorry, couldnt resist, my brother's old blazer rid our county of bugs for 2 years [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

<font color=blue>FORD!</font color=blue>
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-30-2002, 12:14 AM

<font face="Times New Roman">
<font color=green>I still can't figure out why, if you hate Chevy's so much, you always seem to be found in the Chevy forum making responses about them. Could it be that there isn't enough traffic in the Ford forum to keep you busy? Hmmm, I suppose you'll argue that it's because they're just so reliable, but I think it's more likely that not nearly as many people find them to be as good of a platform to build up into a first class off road machine, unless of course you want to build a desert prerunner, which I'll grant Ford's make a better platform for. But that's only because their front suspension design that sucks on the street works well for long travel applications.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-30-2002, 12:30 AM

easy shaggmeister. when our boards are slow i head over there and they have been pretty welcoming to me. and old muddy isa lot better than he was when he first started showing up. at least he makes worthwihile posts. we can takea little 'ribbing" every nowa nd again from him. even if he does drive a blue oval
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-30-2002, 12:33 AM

<font face="Times New Roman">
<font color=green>I know, I know, I'm just feeling punchy tonight. It just seems kind of rude, some of the comments he makes sometimes. Like coming over to someone's house and pissing in the kitchen sink.[img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-30-2002, 09:26 AM
ratlover

There is something wrong with pissing in the kitchen sink? Maybe if there are clean dishes[img]images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 04-30-2002, 09:57 AM

no problem shaggy, i dont thinkits entirely coo lto do either. just letting you know that i came off as "less than friendly" ultimately you can say whatever youi want around here and it really doesnt bother me too much. i just didnt know if you wanted to be mean to a member of the BBS that does contribute for the most part.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode