do you think this will stay in one piece (project) - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-28-2002, 08:12 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

do you think this will stay in one piece (project)

hey guys, i am getting ready to make my mud truck! I need LOTS of help, any usefull information on this project will be TONS of help!

The truck i will start with is a 1973 chevy/gmc 3/4 ton 4x4.

350 or 400 or 454 or 427 (whatever comes with the truck)
8" superlift
fender cutting
dana 60 or 70 front and rear (want 70 but the least i can find them for is 1200 a piece)
40" tires (don't know what type yet)
what ever wheels fit the tires and are tough
a body lift (ONLY IF NEEDED after cutting)

that is all i can think of right now. Does ne one know what will be needed a when i get the superlift. i will be getting the most expensive superlift that is 8" (the system with shocks). I don't know what i will need to do to my drivetrain other than switch the gears (prolly run 5.71). Is manual a REALLY good idea, or is auto ok?

i am a newb to this (i drive mud trucks a lot, just don't build them)

thanx guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-28-2002, 08:33 PM

Re: do you think this will stay in one piece (project)

<font face="Comic Sans MS">Auto transmission is typically better for mud since it'll shift and you won't lose wheel speed. I don't care how fast you can shift a manual, the second you put that clutch in if you're in real mud, the wheels have stopped, so if you've not picked the right gear to start with you're going to be stuck if you have to try and shift... [img]images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

For those tires I'd go big block. Purposely seek one out. [img]images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] The torque really does help...

I'd go with 6" BDS I do believe. I've not used them but sure can't beat their warranty "if it breaks for any reason we'll replace it no questions asked" at least that's the one they used to have, i believe they still have it. [img]images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

My suburban mud runner is going to eventually have fenders done like a flat fender jeep (no radiusing the wheel houses, just nice flat open spaces, allowing tons of room for movement up and down as well as a little lateral movement... [img]images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] I think it'd look pretty good, better than leaving only a little bit of metal around the wheel opening... [img]images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] Just my opinion though.

I like the 14 bolt FF, which is comparable to the Dana 70, but only goes down to 5.13 gearing I believe. [img]images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] Much less expensive than the D70 if I recall and lockers are dirt cheap, as well as it's said to be very easy to "lincoln lock" (weld) the diff if you so desire... Not to mention if you find one off a heavy 3/4 ton the spring perches should already be in place. You'll *need* to find a Dana 60 for the front as well, as I believe that vintage 3/4 ton would only have a 10 bolt or Dana 44. Clearly not enough to support safe use of 4x" tires on the street (brakes too small, etc).. [img]images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] I believe the 1 tons not only had a heavy duty front axle but also a beefier frame too... Not sure about the fronts from that vintage though I could be wrong.. [img]images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]</font>
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-28-2002, 09:03 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

good, i can only find auto!

i usually find them with a 454 anyway, but if i find a 350 for cheap, i will engine swap (i know a site where i can usually get a mopar 440 for under 1k, used).

i will look into more lifts, thanx for that info.

do you think i will need to get longer drive shafts, how does that part of the lift work? I will look around for a 1973 1 ton (i am stuck with 1973 cause parts and lifts are easier to come by, plus i don't have to worry about smog)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-28-2002, 09:20 PM

For anything above 6" lift you will need new driveshafts. Make sure in the 73 it has a dana 60 front, I'm not sure which year they started puting the 60's in there.

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-28-2002, 09:27 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

where do you get drive shafts? any online shop carry them?

i will be beefing up the axles and engine and doing the trimming of the wells before i do the lift first anyway.

i found a 1973 454 3/4 or 1 ton (forget) in driving shape for 2200 and a 3/4 ton with a 350 for 500 (waiting for the owner to e-mail me and say, yes it is a 4x4, or no it is not). I really want the 500$ one. I will be able to get the money for dana 60's much quicker that way + i think it already has them in the back!

so, i am still tryin to find one for a good deal, awsome deal rather.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-28-2002, 09:59 PM

You think those trucks have dana 60's in the back? Is that what you meant? Cause, they have a 14 bolt in the back not a 60. And a dana 44 if there 3/4 ton or a dana 60 if it's a 1 ton. You would be better off paying the 1700 more for the 1 ton and getting the 60 since my 60 just cost me 4 grand[img]images/icons/crazy.gif[/img].

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-28-2002, 10:21 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

i meant the 1 ton had a dana 60
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-28-2002, 11:06 PM

Why are you looking only at 1973 trucks..

Anything from 73-87 should have the parts you're looking for, but I think I heard somewhere that the D60's didn't start coming in the front until 76 or something like that

Someone here should be able to clear that up.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-28-2002, 11:10 PM

He doesnt want smog restrictions, plus isnt there a law about you cant have a motor older then your truck, like you cant have a 454 big block in a 2001 Silverado or somethin like that
post #10 of (permalink) Old 04-28-2002, 11:14 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

dunno about size restrictions, but the oldest i can get a truck without smog restrictions is a 1973 (till 2004).

the law on emitions are as follows.

in 1997 they said that a truck of 1973 or older does not need to meet smog restrictions.

from 2003 and on any car of 30 years or older will not need to meet the smog restrictions, that means in 2004 the restrictions will move up to 1974, than 75, than 76...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode