6.2 DSL - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-28-2002, 05:14 PM
Bocephus

6.2 DSL

anybody have a blazer with the 6.2 in it?What kind of milage does it get,how does it perform?Thanks BO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-28-2002, 06:26 PM

Re: 6.2 DSL

well i dont have a blazer, but i have 2 half ton pickups with that motor. From my experience, the motor, is one of the highest reving diesels around. I got good mileage out of mine, but when towing heavy loads the mileage went to crap, but that is to be expected. Also to be expected is for it to use a bit of oil. Its common with diesels, or at least that is what i have been told.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-28-2002, 06:45 PM

My diesel has 273,000+ miles on it and still runs strong. It does use a little oil, but as Drey said that is kinda to expected of these older diesels. My experiece is that everything around the motor will fail before the engine itself will. I got 18mpg when i bought the truck and that was with 3.42 gears and 31" bfg mt. Currently the truck gets 14.5-15.5mpg. My Jet tranny took 1-2mpg and the 33" bfg mt took the another 1-2. I've replaced quite a few starters on it but the last one i installed has lasted for a about a year now. If everything on it is solid you shouldn't have any trouble with a 6.2. Just don't expect it to be race car b/c when in their stock form they are a little slow at accelerating. My truck cruises good and has lots of torque to make up for the lack of acceleration IMO. I hope this helps. Here is a good link to a <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/forums/postlist.php?Cat=&amp;Board=deisel>GM diesel forum</a> at coloradok5.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-28-2002, 11:25 PM

Ya my Scottsdale went through brakes, and transmission, but my motor hasnt went yet, hell that truck even got hit by a combine before i bought it. Like 86 Diesel says Acceleration is made up by torque, i pull way more then my buddies with there old 350s can. but that damn 700R4, thats why im not driving my Scottsdale right now. tranny is slippin bad.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-05-2002, 12:45 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hey! I have a 84 with a 6"susp. and 3 body and 38 tsl, the 6.2 is a lil doggy but i cant give it up when im gettin dang close to 20 mpg! I like it!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-06-2002, 02:41 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I had a 1982 Blazer with the 6.2L Diesel. 1982 was the first year for the 6.2L and everybody kept on saying how the early 6.2's were junk. I proved them all wrong - the truck died of body cancer (rust... BAD rust) and the engine was still running strong. I drove the truck up north the weekend before I parted it out... 30 gallon fuel tank. I drove 180 miles and still had a bit better than 3/4 tank. I put over 600 miles onto the truck that weekend and put about $5 in fuel in on the way 'just to be sure' because there were some serious hill climbs at almost WOT between Traverse City and Vanderbilt that ate some extra fuel...

The truck averaged 23-24 miles/gallon - that's a full size Blazer! The truck had 3.08 gears a 700R4 tranny and 31" tires. I still sold the engine to a guy for $700 and he knew it had 240,000+ miles on it.

The early 6.2's had some issues, mainly heads cracking between the valves and they used coarse thread injectors the first year - changed to fine thread injectors for the rest of production.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode