Dual exhaust or single ? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-28-2002, 08:29 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Dual exhaust or single ?

Howdy, my 84 1/2 ton Silverado came with a 305 and single exhaust and catylitic converter, I'm dropping in a Goodwrench 350 crate motor with Edelbrock Performer intake, Holley Avenger carb, Comp Cams extreme 4x4 cam, I want to run headers and true dual exhaust, but because of the cat, do I need to run two cats ? Or should I just stick with the cast iron exhaust and a bigger single exhaust ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-28-2002, 09:56 AM

Re: Dual exhaust or single ?

Loose the cat and go with dual 2.5 inch pipe and glasspacks or flowmaster 50's(some like 40's better)
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-28-2002, 11:30 AM
Carpal \'Tunnel

Buy a set of headers and run 2 1/4 or 2 1/2 pipe. If you need catalytic nightmares, buy some aftermarket ones.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-28-2002, 09:27 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Utah emission laws are that apprently I have to keep the cat, local muffler shops are ripp-offs, can't even get a price quote over the phone !
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-28-2002, 09:37 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

There's a place on the internet that sells high performance catalytic converters, I don't remember who they are. I think they're around $50-80 each. I'd just run the converters and forget about mufflers.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-08-2002, 10:41 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

You can run a single exhaust and have great power, but still need a high flow cat. If money is a problem, then do a cat back for now. Just make sure on a single exhaust that you run larger diameter pipes. My 454 does fine with single 3.5 inch so a small block with a 3" would be fine. The cheap high flows are weld on units and won't bolt right in, so if doing it yourself... must be able to weld. You can get a good set of headers and use factory y pipe if keeping your stock cat. Then out back use the flowmaster 50 delta series for good flow and sound with a little less interior resonance. If you CAN do this job yourself, and can afford two cats/mufflers then dual away and use a crossover to equalize exhaust pulses. Lots of choices, but don't go too large and slow down your exhuast gasses or you will lose a lot of bottom end power.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode