what pre 1974 truck should i get for a bogger? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-27-2002, 12:42 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

what pre 1974 truck should i get for a bogger?

hey, i started a thread in the ifs section (doh!). I definatelly want sfa. i will be putting HUGE tires on it. i wanted 44's, but people said start lower. sounds good to me.

Now, what truck should i get, i want a truck that is 1973 or earlier (smog exempt, i am in california). I don't know more than that, other than i want a truck that can be lifted, a lot.

sorry about posting in both forums (newb)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-27-2002, 01:01 AM

Re: what pre 1974 truck should i get for a bogger?

I replied to your post on the IFS board but here I go again. You can lift any leaf sprung truck alot. But, the axles are gonna die a horrible death. You need to upgrade to at least a dana 60 front and a corp. 14 full floater rear axle. And why do you want it lifted so high? Why not just a small lift with lots of fender trimming or maybe some cut-out flares? The bigger springs you get the stiffer they are, after about 8" they don't flex at all. But I guess your not interested in trail rides or anything, so you don't need flex. But you will be a right bit tippy[img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img].

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-27-2002, 01:26 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

ok, that helps a lot, maybe i will get 6-8" and do a little body trimming. I am looking around for a truck with dana 60+ and 38" tires (that is what everyone has around here, found a REALLY NICE one for 3500$). well i will be lookin around.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-27-2002, 04:16 PM

A 1/2 ton or a 3/4 ton is a good platform to start out with. about 4 or 5 months ago i bought my first 4x4, for $750, a 1983 GMC Half TOn diesel. granted, ive spent alot on fixing it up(still in the process) but the way i figure it, when i bust somethin up, i wont have to take it to the shop. And you dont have to jump right to 38s. I think RJ only has 36s or something like that on his truck. and another little hint. My GMC has heavy duty emissions or something like that, so i could prolly drop in a 454, with out much question. of course, inspections dont happen around here, so a 502 RAT is possible, but im 17, and cash is really tight. so the diesel is stayin there till i at least get a 14FF out back, and a D44 up front. Actually until im out of college and have another truck for a FarM work truck(prolly like a 95 or so 3/4 ton. Im stickin to a 2 inch lift, and tires no larger then 33s. and more then likely a locker out back in the 10 bolt. A good place to find old trucks cheap is AutoTrader, im looking at one right now 1974 Chevy 3/4 ton 4x4, 350 motor / 350 tranny, little rust, runs good. $1500 right there is a good platform. its in Des Moines Iowa, if ya want the number ill keep the mag around for ya.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-27-2002, 09:50 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

how about this for 500!!!!

this truck is about 6hrs from my house for 500 bux. he SAYS it drives well, and seems to be pretty good. I could care less what the body looks like, after i am done with it, it will look like trash.

http://adcache.collectorcartraderonl...6/24531486.htm

hey, it is a truck, can you go wrong for 500$?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-28-2002, 02:02 AM
Mud in my Veins

Re: how about this for 500!!!!

you'd probably be better off starting with a 4x4 truck, but i guess if everything is going to get swapped out then all you're really buying is the body, which aint very nice....? if you can get to a military auction you might score a CUCV blazer, which have AWESOME equipment on them already.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-28-2002, 02:49 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

how do you know it is not 4wd???

how did you know that is 4wd, the add does not say.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-28-2002, 03:10 AM

Re: how do you know it is not 4wd???

<font face="Times New Roman">
<font color=green>Did the owner tell you that it's a 4x4? It doesn't look like it's a 4x4 to me either. No lockout hubs on the front and too low.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-28-2002, 03:37 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: how do you know it is not 4wd???

i was never able to get a hold of him, sent and e-mail asking though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode