14FF and problems (UPDATE) - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-26-2002, 09:52 PM Thread Starter
Carpal \'Tunnel

14FF and problems (UPDATE)

I know this has been discussed before but I can't find it anywhere so please bear with me.

OK, so I've been thinking again. Yes, it's starting to get scary.

I'm really trying to avoid spending tons of money. However, the fact that I need a traction device and my thoughts of a minispool in a 10 bolt look pretty poor it looks like I'll have to bow to you guys and your 14FFs.

OK, let's say I stuff a 14FF under my truck. I've got one at my parents' itching for a home, no big deal.

First off, has anyone put disk brakes on their 14 bolt?

#1 problem:
wheels. I don't want to have 8 bolt in the rear and 6 bolt in the front. I'm not going to swap out the corporate 10 bolt I have in the front for a hard-to-find and expensive 8 lug dana44. I haven't seen a dana60 that cost less than a grand so that's out.

is it possible to drill new holes in the rear for a 6 bolt pattern and clear the hub safely with a standard chevy wheel? I don't mind grinding a little but I don't want a weak wheel.
XXXXXXXXXXX
Can drill, don't know about fitting over a standard wheel. May need shaving.
XXXXXXXXXXX

#2 problem:
brakes. I don't want to stick 50+ pound drums on my truck. The bigger axle already adds at least 100 pounds. This means I'd have to switch to disk brakes. our friends here at off-road.com were nice enough to do an article on it. The same truck I'm robbing the 14FF off has some nifty nice calipers too. So all I'd need is the brackets. Anyone know of a source besides TSM that sells them cheap? I think more than $75 is too expensive for a couple pieces of drilled steel. Better yet, has anyone made them?
XXXXXXXXXXX
A really cool guy at TSM told me that the 2wd and 4wd calipers were identical. I've had several other people tell me that this wasn't the case. I'll go with the TSM people.
XXXXXXXXXXX

Thanks
-Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-26-2002, 10:02 PM

Re: 14FF and problems

Guy on CK5 CNC machines them for people. It's much more than a drilled hunk of steel, 10 hours of designing measuring and programming then machining. Anyway, I have an 8 lug 4.10 geared dana 44 front looking for a home. Interested? Shipping would be around 200.

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-27-2002, 12:38 AM

I did the 14bff disk brake conversion using "Derbinator"'s brackets from Coloradok5. He's selling them for $100 shipped and the quality of his product is awesome. There are others on the CK5 board that are selling brackets also (45acp,misfit) but I can't personally vouch for their product. The swap took me a weekend...the hardest part was pulling all the old crap off and replacing the seals. I finally took the hubs to a machine shop to have them press the seals.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-27-2002, 04:25 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Off Road unlimited can make ya a 14 bolt 6 lug axle...for the low low price of $2995.
Or Donovan at CK5 will machine your hubs for a 6 lug wheel for about $300 I think.
CK5 has a bunch of guys making the brackets.
But a d44 or 10 bolt 8 lug axle is not realy that exspensive.
I paid $200 for my D44 and I have seen them for $75 in the paper.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-27-2002, 10:55 PM Thread Starter
Carpal \'Tunnel

Do you know how much he charges for the hubs? I can understand the hubs being pretty complex but not the brackets. Since no one has been able to tell me if the calipers off a 77 C20 will work I'll probably end up making my own brackets.

I'd rather spend the money for a set of hubs for the 14FF than a 10% stronger than my 10 bolt Dana44. Thanks for the offer though.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-27-2002, 10:59 PM Thread Starter
Carpal \'Tunnel

Hey, thanks for the information. I sent all three of them PMs yesterday asking questions and if they have any left. I'm really curious as to whether the calipers off my 77 C20 will work because that'll save me a couple hundred bucks that can go towards hubs.

I'd be doing all my with the axle out of the truck, is it any easier that way? Depending on whether I do it at my house or my Dad's I'll have access to a 12ton press which should make life easier.

What did the entire conversion cost you?
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-27-2002, 11:07 PM Thread Starter
Carpal \'Tunnel

Can you say "youch"? I don't even have that much money invested in my truck. I'd come out of the grocery store to find my axle missing and the truck still parked there.

What kind of machining does he do? I wish I had a hub here for me to look at.

8 lug axles are moderately rare around here. Most all of the 3/4 and 1ton gear has been snagged up by the local off-roaders. I mean we're talking a lot of trucks with big tires around here. There are forty serious trail machines in the school club alone plus there are a lot that aren't members. And then you've got the locals which must sell their foodstamps to buy parts. Within three blocks of me there are 4 trucks with 40" or taller tires. And I'm in the "old fart" neighborhood.

I wish I'd seen one in the paper for $75. I wish I could find a motor for that much too. I really wish I could find a SBC400. Anyway, back to reality or something.

Thanks again
-Brian
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-28-2002, 01:55 AM
Mud in my Veins

6 lug 14FF:

http://www.community.webshots.com/al...4039AUqMDSZoau
post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-28-2002, 01:47 PM Thread Starter
Carpal \'Tunnel

Can you say "woo-hoo"? I hit the jackpot. Thanks.

Now while I examine those pictures I wonder how much shaving he had to do on the hubs..

Thanks again
-Brian
post #10 of (permalink) Old 04-28-2002, 04:35 PM

I can't tell you how much I spent on the swap right off the top of my head...The most expensive part was using the cadillac calipers because I want an e-brake.

I think that it would be easier to do the conversion with the axle under the truck(fitting new lines ect.) Having access to a press will save you $20 and a couple hours of time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode