rear main seal - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-24-2002, 08:56 PM
tool

rear main seal

I have a 1988 suburban with a 350/700R4, and tons of oil splashed all over the underside. I realize it's the main seal, but my question is how to service this. Do I need to drop the tranny out? Or do I just simply remove the oil pan? I'm unsure wether it's a one or two piece seal. Thank you for your input!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-25-2002, 12:18 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: rear main seal

get a rear seal removal tool it looks like a little snake I've never had to do one but my dad swears by that little tool says it's a lot easier with it less cursing and swearing too
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-25-2002, 07:07 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Your 88' has a one-piece rear main seal. Are you sure it's the rear main seal? Did you pull off the torque converter dust cover to check for oil all over the flywheel? I find the stamp steel oil pressure gauge sender is usually the problem. If it is the rear main seal look into dropping the oil pan, tranny and of course the flywheel. The actual seal is easy to replace just hard to get to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-25-2002, 07:14 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

You are gonna have to remove the tranny and flex plate to replace the seal.
To remove the seal I drill a small hole in the center of the seal at the bottom and then run a long screw into it. it will bottom out and the seal will pop out.
Or if you are not comfortable with that just run 2 screws on opposite ends of the seal and clamp on a set of vice grips and using a pry bar pry against the vice grips and the seal will come out.
The only engine that I found that didn't like the bottoming out screw method was a Mack engine, the screw wedged between the crank and main cap and broke off.
To install the seal just use a small hammer and tap it in around the edges.
If there is a groove worn into the end of the crank a speedi sleeve will be needed to stop any future leaks.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-25-2002, 11:27 AM
Carpal \'Tunnel

Pull off the inspection cover and see if there is oil in there.

I'd be more inclined to think it is the valve covers. I'd track down the exact source of the oil before I went through a job to put in a rear main seal.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-25-2002, 10:05 PM

check your oil pan gasket, thats what mine is, and i originally thought it was rear seal
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-26-2002, 11:57 PM
tool

Thanks for the help. It turned out it was the seal. It was a pain in the [censored] getting to it like you all said, but the project all in all wasn't as horrible as I expected. I appreciate the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode