1 ton questions - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-24-2002, 05:54 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

1 ton questions

i am looking at doing a project 4x4 and need some help in deciding what the best vehicle would be. I would like to do something similar to the Tough Truck contestants from Four Wheeler magazine. There were 10 featured in OCT '01 and I have seen the web site for the K5 http://www.offroaddesign.com/index.htm That's a pretty impressive piece. The Suburban and the '81 1 ton in the contest also were very interesting. It seems that a lot of the most durable running gear--Dana 60 and Corporate 14 bolt--are what the Chevy/GMC 1 tons come equipped with. Buying one of those seems like a good way to save some money and hassle in the long run. So, I am looking to find out what the good and not so good years are and anything else to be aware of in choosing a vehicle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-24-2002, 06:01 PM

Re: 1 ton questions

<font face="Times New Roman">
<font color=green>76-91 1 tons came with the Dana 60/14 bolt combo. If you want EFI you'll have to gowith '87 or later. If you want an Auto an '80 is nice becuase it should come with the indestructible TH400/NP205 combo. Get it with a 454 and you're set for anything up to 44s. I'd suggest trying to find an ex-military CUCV. These are 1 tons that should have a 6.2 diesel, TH400/205, Dna 60/14 bolt with 4.56 gears and a detroit locker in the back. It may take a while but definately find a 1 ton, it's worth the wait.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode