u-joint problem - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-22-2002, 01:37 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

u-joint problem

I have an 89 k-5 blazer with a 350 and 3 inch lift with 33X12.50X15 tires on it. My question is this, I had the u-joints replaced around 6,000 miles ago and they are going bad again on my rear drive shaft. Does anyone have any idea why they may be going bad so early? Any help would be appreciated. I had them put in by a mechanic and i keep them greased also
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-22-2002, 08:21 PM

Re: u-joint problem

Check your driveline angle. Unless you have a CV joint rear drive shaft, your pinion u-joint angle should match your t/c u-joint angle within a degree or 2.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-25-2002, 08:22 PM

Did you lower your tcase after the lift? There are two spacers on the bolts that mount the crossmember to the frame. Move them so they are between the crossmember and frame so the case is lowered. Also, do you have shims under the rear springs? These things will help you get better angles and make your u-joints last longer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-25-2002, 10:27 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

sorry i should have posted that i have a 3 inch body lift...would i still need to do all that? I think I asked before and everyone said i didn't. anyway thanks for the help
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-26-2002, 09:40 AM
Carpal \'Tunnel

No, your driveline is still the same.

It certainly is peculiar.

Do you have a lot of axle wrap? I've notice some older pickups are starting to get the infamous pinion-down syndrome.

By any chance is your frame bent or "dogtracking"? You should be able to look from the back of the truck at your transmission and be able to imagine a straight line between your crankshaft and your pinion shaft. If it isn't straight it can cause transmission cases to break and universals to wear out.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-26-2002, 11:42 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

My 1982 K5 use to eat U-joints ALL the time. The problem with my truck turned out to be a bad pinion yoke on the rear axle. One of the U-joints that blew lost a cap on the yoke side and the torque of the driveshaft drove the inside bearing surface of the U-joint into the yoke, putting a hell of a divot into the yoke itself. I didn't notice this right away... I'd get a couple thousand miles on the U-joint, then KA-BAM! I finally saw the dent when I was replacing a U-joint. Replaced the yoke and problem fixed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode