Install new flexplate myself or take it to a shop - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-22-2002, 12:18 PM
Resurrection_Joe

Install new flexplate myself or take it to a shop

I'd like some opinions on wheather I should install a new flexplate myself or have a shop do it.

What is entailed in doing such a procedure, and how long would it take a mildly mechanicly inclined RJ to do? I may have another slightly more mechanicly inclined guy to help if need be.

If I take it to a shop what do you expect the price to be if I buy the parts? I don't think I'll get screwed around too much because I know what I'm talking about. Better to ask the going rate to put in a flexplate than the going rate to fix the misterious scary noise in my truck eh? [img]images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Anyway, thoughts opinions, stuff I forgot, anything, anything at all?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-22-2002, 12:40 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Install new flexplate myself or take it to a shop

First of all, you have to remove the transmission and transfer case to replace the flexplate. It's not hard if you have the right equipment. The easiest way I've found is to remove the transmission tunnel cover and use an engine cherry picker to lower the trans/case after unbolted. A 4' long chain is needed. Be sure to disconnect all bell housing bolts, front & rear driveshafts, speedo cable, trans cooler lines, shift linkage, cross member bolts, electrical plugs (if equipped), etc. before removing the trans. Be sure to remove the 3 flexplate torque converter bolts and remove the torque converter with the transmission (or you'll have a mess!). There's 6 bolts that hold the flex plate on. R&R the plate and torque to spec... then replace the transmission.

It's really pretty easy, if you have the equipment and general knowledge of how to do the job. Do yourself a favor and don't drop the tranny on yourself or your buddy trying to lower it by hand. A TH400/NP205 combo has to weigh somewhere between 300-400 pounds (if not more) and it's one awkward bubba when it's in the air and not bolted down.

I'd expect almost $1000 to have a shop do the job. Costs you the price of the flex plate, a couple hours work, and the cost of a case of beer to do it yourself.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-22-2002, 02:42 PM

Uh yeah...hmmm.. It is easy to do yourself. Heres the trick.. rent a tranny jack from the local rental yard. Disconnect the cooler lines Drip pan needed). Support the rear of your engine (floor jack with a couple of 2x4). Remove all but two bolts from bell housing, remove convertor bolts, put tranny jack under tranny, apply t.jack pressure, remove drive shafts, tranny mounts. Replace the last two bell housing bolts with two bolts the same diameter as the stock bell housing bolts but about 6" long. Install bolts at bottom of bellhousing (Keeps the tranny from twisting). Slide tranny back about 4 inches. Hold flywheel with flywheel tool (Rent it or buy it for 20.00)remove flexplate bolts with box end wrench or thin ratchet with a short socket. Install new flexplate and return in reverse. Should take about.....hmmmm.... couple of hours (Beer drinking included)??

P.S. You may need to disconnect your Throttle Valve cable and the dipstick tube to push the tranny back. I never needed to remove them on the 84-90 trucks I used to work on....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-22-2002, 03:15 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

I can't remember what transfer case and transmission combination you have. I just remember it's had both automatics and a manual in it. I'm pretty sure you put one of them in so you can figure out how to unhook everything.

If you have a problem, blame it on the evil twin I wish I had.

There are two ways you could do it. I don't know which one is best but I'd probably take the more difficult one because that's the way I am.

The easy way:
You'll need a couple floorjacks and someone gullible enough to hold on to things for quite some time while you do the manual labor.
Move the transmission and transfer case out of the way enough to get a socket in there to yank the (four I think) bolts that hold the flex plate on. Make sure you curse at the gullible person if they let the transmission and transfer case fall on your leg. The hard part will be putting the new flexplate on. Putting mine on resulted in half an hour of getting irate until it just kind of magically slid on.

The hard way:
You'll still need a couple floorjacks and it'd be good to have someone gullible enough to lose an arm or leg to stop the transmission and transfer cases from falling on the floor.
Yank the transmission and transfer case out of the way so you can see the back of the motor. This, hopefully, will keep you from cursing as much when trying to put the new flexplate on. If I cursed a lot when I put one on while my motor was out of my truck I'd hate to know what it'd be like when I couldn't see what I was doing.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-22-2002, 07:05 PM
Resurrection_Joe

Ok, I'll do it myself, I'll just wait until my air compressor comes around and then I'll borrow all of my friends jacks. Anyway, thanks. Any more tips will be appreciated.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-22-2002, 07:34 PM

Umm, not to scare you or anything, but the one on the 327 I'm rebuilding took 25 minutes with a torch and BFH to get off[img]images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]. But then again, it hadn't been taken off in 32 years so...

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-22-2002, 08:42 PM
Kendog454

couldnt you just remove the engine and do it? Seems easier to me
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-22-2002, 09:10 PM
Can't Get Enough

Then you have all those pesky vacuum lines to try and put back in the right spots.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-23-2002, 07:34 PM
RolngThun

If I remember correctly the book gives about four hours for that job. So that times what ever the labor rate is in your area.
With the long bolt way I could change it in less then an hour, I have two wrenches welded together to get to the flexplate bolts easier. I use to love those jobs when I did cars and light trucks.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 04-24-2002, 12:23 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

make sure you slide the torque converter back all the way you should not be able to slip your hands between the converter and the tranny when it's all the way back you slide it back a little turn it a little and it should slide the rest of the way back
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in