An engines an engine right? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-22-2002, 12:08 AM Thread Starter

An engines an engine right?

Well, ok, my truck has the vortec 454 and I plan on a performance rebuild sometime soon, before winter anyway. Heres my plan, I can just change the short block, and keep the heads, and induction system. And it should pass smog right? I mean, I'll run a smog legal computer cam, but it will be ground for a little more bottom end torque and I want to raise the compression a bit and maybe stroke it[img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]. So, as long as from the outside it appears to be a stock 454 and not a 496 9.5-1 beast. And if I keep all the stock smog equipment including air injection and all, it should pass right?

And cnc porting the heads shouldn't effect emissions right?

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-22-2002, 03:18 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: An engines an engine right?

I think the most important part in being able to pass emissions would be the camshaft profile. Usually the computer running in closed loop will keep HC's and CO's within the limits as long as the catalytic converter is working fine. Having compression ratio at 9.5:1 might raise the NOx emissions, but having an EGR valve should help keep the NOx emissions below limits. The extra cubic inches should be OK as long as the computer can reach closed loop with air fuel ratio. I'd think you would be better off with the stock displacement, a camshaft that produces strong vacuum, and a compression of 9:1 would be on the safe side.
dave
dave
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-22-2002, 02:24 PM
Veteran

Are 42 cubic inches and 0.5 extra compression worth the work and money? New crank, pistons, rings, gaskets, bearings and possibly balancing costs for 30-40 ft.lbs more ?? Sorry, but to me it seems like a big waste of $$[img]images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

Andreas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-22-2002, 02:33 PM Thread Starter

Well, I need pistons, rings, gaskets, bearings, and balancing anyway with a rebuild. So, Andreas, got any tips on building this thing up to look stock on outside but make some good torque for towing and still pass smog?

post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-22-2002, 02:56 PM
Veteran

Ok, didnīt know you were rebuilding it anyway. It makes a little more sense now[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]. Nope, donīt know anything about keeping stuff smoglegal other than what Dave mentioned. What he said, if I got it correctly, is to make sure your fuelsystem can handle the extra cui. It might run lean which in its turn leads to failure of igniting all the fuel (because of the fuel LOSS). The lean mixture will not burn completly and leave little puddles of fuel. Sounds weird, I know, but thatīs what happens (according to an interesting article I read). Other nice features of running lean is heat, pinging and all sorts of enginekillers.

Btw, CNC porting will not affect smog.

Andreas
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-22-2002, 03:43 PM Thread Starter

Well, I've been talking with a guy who stuffed a 502 long block with alluminum heads into a 1999 suburban and it passes CA smog easily. He runs the stock computer which runs the instrument cluster and tranny and uses an aftermarket ECU to run the engine with new 36 lb/hr injectors to deliver the extra fuel. And he used a crane cam that is built for EFI engines with a good torque curve but with smooth idle. He gave me a crane part # for the cam too. Heres a pic:

He hides the new ecu and ignition in the storage box:

post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-22-2002, 04:08 PM
Veteran

Since itīs almost the same displacement (496 & 502) I would keep it simple and copy what he did.

Andreas
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-22-2002, 04:23 PM Thread Starter

Well, he cheated and bought a zz502 crate motor from gm and I aint got that kinda cash[img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]. So, well, I have along time to plan for it anyway. Thanks for all the info.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-22-2002, 06:51 PM

Man it must suck to live state side with all those smog laws.. Yikes, couldn't imagine trying to build a truck and still keep it smog legal.

I guess more power to ya if you can build a beast and still pass emissions.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 04-22-2002, 10:21 PM

Its not fun...mine just stopped passing on its own, with no mods...fixed it though. Then a few days ago i heard about a guy who will pass anything, even if there is no emissions equipment, just as long as you can't tell where it was.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode