California Emissons ??'s - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-21-2002, 11:43 PM
logan_ut

California Emissons ??\'s

I've got a question for anybody from California. I'm graduating from college in a couple of weeks and got a job in San Diego. I want to keep my truck but I have no idea what the emissions standards and laws are down there. My truck is licensed in Idaho where there is no such thing as an inspection. I have a newer crate 350, Quadrajet carb, Performer intake, headers, and straight dualed exhaust with glasspacks (soon to be muffler's again) on my 1981 3/4 ton. What would it take to be able to register my truck in California and would it even be worth it? Also, how long could I keep my Idaho plates and registration before I would have to register it in Cali. Thanks for any help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-21-2002, 11:54 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: California Emissons ??\'s

it has to have evrything it had on it when it was stock EGR heat riser exahst with air injeation tubes carbon canister and all vac.lines and the stock air filter assambly and you have to get rid of that duel exhaust and run the stock single with a cat we don't have smog testing here we have smog nazis your moveing to the toughest smog laws in the world if you have any doubts that it won't pass your probably right cars less than five years old fail here
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-22-2002, 12:44 AM
logan_ut

That really sucks. I don't have an EGR, carbon canister, or anything else other than vacuum advance, vacuum to the brakes, and vacuum to PCV. Were they putting cats on trucks in 1981? I guess they could have been there but not here. Is there anywhere I can find out what came stock on my truck? It sounds like it may be more of a hassle than it's worth. Think I could drive it with Idaho registration for a while until I bought something else? That way I could just take it back to Idaho and sell it in a few months.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-22-2002, 02:41 AM

<font face="Times New Roman">
<font color=green>OK, if it was not originally a CA truck then it doens't need to meet CA emissions standards, which, being as that it is a 3/4 ton, you probably don't need air injection or cats. What you probably do need is - Closed element (stock) air filter with a heat riser, which is very easy to make, even if you have headers, a carbon can, which is super easy to retrofit, mine is from a Ford truck, PCV and EGR. My truck is originally from WA and had no smog equipment whatsoever when I bought it, it was pretty easy to get all of the stuff to get it legal. Just take it to the smog place and they will run the VIN and tell you what it needs. Sounds like the hardest thing will be EGR since you'll need a new manifold, unless yours just has a block off plate on it now. For reference, my truck is a '78 with federal emissions and passed smog with flying colors with only the EGR, stock air cleaner housing, carbon canister, EGR and PCV. I run headers and full dual exhaust, it is legal because it was available in the year the truck was made. My truck isn't even originally a V8, it was a 6cyl originally.

Emissions testing in CA sucks, but it's really not too bad when you actually understand the laws. It won't be so bad, you can make it pass pretty easily so long as the motor isn't too wild and actaully has the cabability of runing clean enough to pass.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-22-2002, 06:21 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

How do newer engines work? What if I put a Vortec or some other injected engine in that doesn't have the air injection or carbon canister? I have an 86 K5 and have been thinking about FI for a while now.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-22-2002, 08:04 AM
logan_ut

That's good to hear! Luckily I've got the block off plate on my manifold. I'll I'd have to do is buy an EGR valve, carbon canister, set up the heat riser, and find a stock air cleaner setup. I think I'll call down to a smog station today and tell them my VIN and situation and see if they can tell me what exactly I need to put on it. Thanks!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-22-2002, 10:21 AM

<font face="Times New Roman">
<font color=green>By law if you put in a newer motor the smog goes with the motor, so if you put in a 99 Vortec you need all the smog bits that came on it. In practice it takes a machanic that actually knows what the heck he's looking at to know that the motor is newer and make you get the smog stuff. That is, unless you're sent to a referee, they'll run the numbers and know that you have the mewer motr so you will definately need all the bits. This is true even for pre-73 vehicles, although since they never get looked at you really don't need anything until a dick cop ooks at it and writes you up, not likely to ever happen.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-22-2002, 02:29 PM

Well, I figure on the wills that if I ever get pulled over, as soon as the cop gets to the side of it, I'll hit the gas and fill his face with racing gas exhaust and his eyes will burn so bad he won't be able to see in the engine compartment to see that it's not a stock huricane 6[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img].

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-01-2002, 01:16 AM
logan_ut

I've been trying to get my truck ready, thanks for the help. I've got a couple of other questions for you guys. First, are there safety inspections in Cali? If so, what do they look for? Second, how much will I be paying to register my truck? I saw a weight fee schedule for pickup trucks with the same weight as mine but I couldn't tell if it was just for commercial use pickups or if all pickups applied. Thanks for any help.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-01-2002, 04:10 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Do you have family or friends that still live in Idaho? If so I'd just keep registering it there to avoid our(CA) tough smog laws. There is no safety inspections, well if a cop pulls you over with no seatbelt then he'll ding you. There is also a extra weight tax on your truck no matter if its commercial or not. Also Cali has one of the highest vehicle registration rates around. See, registering in Idaho sounds better by the second!! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode